Tank loot dispute

#1 - June 3, 2011, 7:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
While in ZA the tank helm drops of the bear-boss.
The tank needed on it with a 89
I need on in because i wanted to make a tank set (had the spec rdy)
My roll is in the mid 50's (as usual)
The group scolds me on how dps should NEVER EVER need on tank gear. I was then kicked
I personally believe i should be able to need on it if i want it for a set, not to sell though.

Do YOU *points* think i was wrong for that? Or was the group wrong?

Edit: ucwutididthar in the title?!?!?! :P
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#217 - June 3, 2011, 10:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/03/2011 12:26 PMPosted by Oroka
I personally believe i should be able to need on it if i want it for a set, not to sell though.

That's great, and if others in the group disagree with you they have the option to kick you. In general most people agree that you only roll need on MS, but that's up to each individual. Maybe the tank has T11 and is just running his/her friend through; maybe he/she doesn't need that specific item.

If at the start of the run you had just said, "I'm trying to build my tanking set, does anyone mind if I roll need on any tanking items that drop?" it would have ended completely differently.

Almost all issues can be resolved by pressing Enter, and making your intentions known beforehand. And, better yet, it creates a documented conversation should any dire actions need to be reported to a GM. But, it is easier to just be lazy and make difficult situations for everyone, which is what you did.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#437 - June 4, 2011, 1:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
If we could reasonably force people to only roll on their current spec, and that didn't have dire consequences to the game, we totally would. But, it does, so we don't.

If we forced people to only roll on their current spec, people would have to queue for the spec they wanted to begin gearing for regardless if they were equipped to do so. Luckily most people are scared enough to not queue as a tank until they feel they have the gear. (Most people.)

Played the last 3 months as DPS and want to start tanking? Well, hope the group doesn't kick you for being undergeared because you have to run as a tank to roll on the gear you need to do your job properly.

That's just not a solution that leads to a healthy distribution of items as players need them to begin gearing to fulfill their role.

Yes, some people are going to be jerks and roll on gear they say is for their OS when it isn't. We can't fix jerks. We do provide some tools to allow the group to avoid the really bad ones, though, and there are of course alternatives to queuing solo.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#461 - June 4, 2011, 2:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Wow. Really? Wow. Just wow. Really? Wow. Really. REALLY!? Really... wow. Just really wow.

I see a lot of this around the internet these days. I don't know what to make of it.

Did the SNL Weekend Update bit become so pervasive as to influence people's actual legitimate shock/outrage to be expressed purely through these words?

Same as 'slap in the face'. It appears some people use this in legitimate complaints now. In my day it was a joke. Is it no longer a joke? Do people now think this is a reasonable thing to say?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#468 - June 4, 2011, 2:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Well a few months ago we all complained about your "hubris".

At least the complaints are still missuing that....thats something, right?

I think that was Zarhym. That was weird though. Suddenly people discovered a new vocabulary word.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#477 - June 4, 2011, 2:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post

I think that was Zarhym. That was weird though. Suddenly people discovered a new vocabulary word.

Actually i think you might be right.
Zarhym was hubris.
You were snark i think. We complained about your snark.

I am certain with some given time will will remember that online thesaurus website and think of some other words to use in unintentioanlly hilarious incorrect ways.

Personally i hope its a word that has more interesting potential to be used in a limmerick.

There once was poster in blue
Whose manner and tone would not do
He replied with a snark
Thought it a lark
And threw in a pinch of hu-ber-is too
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#483 - June 4, 2011, 2:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/03/2011 07:23 PMPosted by Britia
Such a stupid advice. Say ahead of time that you'd roll on the tank gear then they'd kick you immediately and you'll have to wait another half an hr to hr as dps wait time. I'd say it ahead of time if you're given top queue time if you're kicked from the group but if not why take the chance of being kicked and waiting a long queue again.

YOU ARE

Kidding. Well, I didn't say you should just say you're going to roll on tank gear no matter what. That's not a pleasant way to go about it, obviously.

You ask if they will mind. Or better yet, just whisper the tank and ask. Explain you're trying to build your set. Most people are cool about it, and if not, oh well, you still get your points. On to the next tank.

I've been in plenty of groups where this happens, and I have never seen one where someone gets kicked.

If you start out first thing in a group and say "Oh hey I'm gonna need roll on all the stuff." then yes, people probably aren't going to be cool with that.