23/04 Shadowfiend AI

#0 - April 23, 2007, 4:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We have seen several threads bringing up the lack of control over the Shadowfiend, and thought we'd address that.

The Shadowfiend is a guardian and not a full-fledged pet, and as such it is intended for priests to have limited control over it.

This means you need to be careful about how and when to use it. The AI is designed so that it prefers not attacking a CC'ed target if it can avoid it, but if there are no other options it will attack. So be cautious when using it around CC'ed targets.
#10 - April 23, 2007, 5 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Bad news indeed. How come you wont change it? Ive been waiting for the fix for some time now, but it seems im stuck with my stupid shadowfiend attacking the sheep :C

It it explained in my post :)

Don't use the shadowfiend when there is a sheep around then if you want to make sure to not break the sheep. It's all about choosing your moment, as simple as that.

I honestly can't understand how you can say that the shadowfiend is "crap", I personally think it's very nice and it has saved my life many times.

We will of course continue gathering your feedback, but this is the reply for now and there are no plans at this time to change the functionality of the shadowfiend.
#48 - April 23, 2007, 7:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So, moroes appears after vanish, I set fiend on him, it goes to a shackle.

It's quite clear that it does not "prefer not to attack a CCd target" in that case.

There is a thread about this on the US forum as well, and Nethaera has replied here:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=97563191&pageNo=2&sid=1#23

Click the little blue blizz symbol in the right corner to see her following replies.

We have both said that the preference of the AI is set up to go after a non-CCd target first, but if you feel this is not the case it needs to get reported. Nethaera said she will look it up, and I will try to do the same.
#67 - April 23, 2007, 10:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Update from Nethaera:

Just so everyone is aware, the fix for the Shadowfiend breaking shackle is currently on the PTR. Please be sure to test it there. I just confirmed this as having been fixed and it is the reason why we are stating that the preference for the Shadowfiend is to go after non CCd targets first. The behaviour that some player are experiencing on the live realms is being addressed currently and is on the PTR as such.
#82 - April 24, 2007, 8:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

The problem at Moroes in Karazhan is that you send out your shadowfiend, it attacks Moroes but he vanishes and it attacks a shackle.
I've tried to put out my shadowfiend as soon as Moroes came back again but he vanishes sooner then your shadowfiends duration is over so make sure he isnt near any of the shackles then, otherwise you'd better use a mana pot. Its recommed not to use shadowfiend at this boss

Please read my latest post from yesterday evening :)

Q u o t e:
Update from Nethaera:

Just so everyone is aware, the fix for the Shadowfiend breaking shackle is currently on the PTR. Please be sure to test it there. I just confirmed this as having been fixed and it is the reason why we are stating that the preference for the Shadowfiend is to go after non CCd targets first. The behaviour that some player are experiencing on the live realms is being addressed currently and is on the PTR as such.