I think the future looks bright for pallies

#0 - Feb. 7, 2007, 11:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Shamans too, by the way.

According to Blizzard, the major reason they lifted the faction restrictions from paladins and shamans was because they could work out the classes more the way they wanted it. Loosely interpretted, they said they were unable to turn paladins into true tanks and shamans into melee DPS because they were restricted to one faction only.

It becomes impossible to design difficult content when you have to keep in mind one side has paladins, one side has shamans and they are wildly different, so all these years blizzard has forced both classes into a similar healing role.

Their decision to lift the faction restrictions of these classes for TBC came rather late. The precise date eludes me at the moment, but I think it was in early november somewhere? When you think about it, that means they've had hardly any time to balance shamans and paladins the way they wanted to, be it either itemisation, spells and/or talents.

They've said themselves that their view for the paladin class was to be a holy warrior, at the frontlines of the fight, soaking up the damage. Paladins were never ment to be stand at the back to heal, but with faction limitations in mind, there was no other option.

I believe Blizzard will continue to tweak and perfect paladins. The future does look bright.
#7 - Feb. 7, 2007, 8:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I believe Blizzard will continue to tweak and perfect paladins. The future does look bright.

We continue to tweak all the classes on a regular basis, and I'm sure there will be more changes once we've played TBC more and see how it all works. Unfortunately I don't have any information yet, but as soon there are news they will be posted here.

Q u o t e:
Seems blizzard haven't reached that paladins would be viewed as viable tanks not only as healbots.

Mnjaa, that isn't really correct is it? I thought it was like common knowledge that paladins are meant for tanking as well and not only healbotting. But I guess it's the same discussion as for all hybrid classes, with some guilds only allowing resto specs and stuff like that. That's sad in my opinion, you should be allowed to have the playstyle you want.
#50 - Feb. 8, 2007, 1:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Well Ommra, it's only possible to have that playstyle if the game allows it. Currently paladins seem to be able to maintank normal 5-mans well. But I am still not sure about 10- and 25-mans or heroic 5-mans. Paladins still have a big problem dealing with damage spikes and mitigation.

Does anyone here have experience of tanking in 10- and 25 man instances? It would be interesting to hear some first-hand experiences, and examples of why it works or not works (ok, you already gave an example, but I'd like to hear some more).

Q u o t e:
Not to be pedantic or confrontational, but isn't this what the Beta and PRT was for? ;)

To an extent, but this is a game that keeps developing all the time. Just look at old patch notes for example :)

Q u o t e:
Funny how he/she competely leaves out retribution btw, I wouldn't wager a dime on it ever becoming a valid spec.

Not that funny at all, this particular discussion is about something else.
#52 - Feb. 8, 2007, 1:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Sorry Ommra, but the only things that changed was because for some reason an out of date Beta patch was applied to live. ;)

Therefore needing more patches to bring live up to what the Beta was currently at.

Unless I missed something. :/

I think you did...
#89 - Feb. 9, 2007, 8:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello again, and thanks for all feedback. It's interesting to read your different opinions, and I have to say that this is one of the most constructive threads I have read recently. Keep it up.

I bumped into a GM yesterday on my lunch break who happens to have a level 70 paladin, and he said his guild had paladins tanking Karazhan and that it works great for example together with the hunter spell that takes the hunter's aggro and assigns it to someone else (what's it called again...? ;) )

Anyway, I have forwarded the concerns some of you have, so we'll see if there will be a reply to that. If not, you should at least know that your voice is being heard.
#90 - Feb. 9, 2007, 8:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Q u o t e:
We continue to tweak all the classes on a regular basis

warrior?

Including warriors. But this is the paladin forum :)