Real ID should have an appear offline option

#1 - May 25, 2011, 7:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm not sure why this wasn't implemented in the original from of Real ID. occasionally, I don't want to run that instance with my friends. Sometimes I just want to get away from people and play a hidden alt on a different server, but it's not possible. It should just be a simple button above the add-on button on the log-in screen that says appear offline. Ta-da. no game changing possibilities, just some nice flavor for customers. Show you care Blizzard!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#222 - May 26, 2011, 9:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The second you can turn off your presence is the second everyone does it, and then it's a weird situation where you appear offline but you're secretly looking at everyone else who has themselves as online, but then they find out and start offline snooping.

We encourage that Real ID only be used with people you know in real life, friends, family, co-workers, school mates, etc. and for that reason it shouldn't need to be a secret if you're on your computer or not.

Also, when one of my Real ID friends asks me to run a raid or fill in a spot and I don't feel like it, I say no. I realize that may not be a situation that's reasonable for everyone at all times. I also don't agree to be Real ID friends with everyone I know in real life in just the same way I don't agree to allow my Grandma to be friends with me on Facebook (for fear of her seeing pictures of me at parties, etc.).

Anyway, all that said, our Real ID feature set is constantly moving and so I wouldn't hazard to say that things like a 'hidden' option will never exist, but it's fairly opposite to the intent of the system, and like I said before, can create some really bizarre social behavior that undermines the usefulness of it.