Anti-Ninja Loot System

#1 - May 26, 2011, 8:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I am so tired of having tank gear ninja'd from me by plate-wearing dpsers, so I'd like to propose a suggestion for the loot system to make it ninja-proof. I'll be only using plate gear as a template example.

If you join a random pug with the dungeon finder, and you have 2+ plate-wearers (1 being the tank), and a plate tank item drops (anything with dodge, parry, general avoidance stats, etc), only the tank should be able to Need roll for it. If the tank hits greed/disenchant/pass, then and only then would the need button unlock for the other plate-wearing dpsers.

Feel free to add your own suggestions, but I think this idea would be a great improvement.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#48 - May 26, 2011, 9:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/26/2011 01:03 PMPosted by Valerie
Losing the dice roll =/= Ninja looting

This.

I think what you want is a system that keeps people from rolling on the gear you want because you don't believe they deserve it to the same degree you do. There are already restrictions in place that keep people from rolling on items they can't use. We don't want to begin restricting what people can roll on based on current spec, because that's not a black or white situation, which is how the system would need to be set up to work how you'd like.

There are some surefire ways to avoid or seriously cut down on situations like this, but it should be understood that if you enter into Dungeon Finder your rolls can go up against the rolls of someone else, regardless if you think you should get preference or not.

If you're looking for a certain item, I'd let the group know before the first pull and ask if anyone else is going to roll need on it. If nothing else it'll show everyone your intent, and put anyone on display who (at the consensus of the group) isn't playing by what you'd consider to be fair.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#396 - May 27, 2011, 2:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This thread is getting close to cap. Obviously it's a popular topic and I appreciate everyone putting in their opinions. Despite a few choice words here and there, there are some good points and counter-points.

To bring one more to the table (or reiterate one, I haven't read all 20 pages), and it's one that is a big reason why the system works as it does: if only tanks can roll on tank gear, then it becomes really hard for anyone else to build up the gear they need to be able to tank. We would end up with a bunch of undergeared tanks ("Sorry guys, but this is the only way I can get armor,") or worse, fewer tanks in the system overall because nobody can get gear. People would be forced to gear for healing or tanking through other means because they wouldn't be able to move fluidly from leveling as DPS to Dungeon Finder and begin acquiring the gear they need to fulfill their role. Or, the Light forbid, one day someone decides they want to try healing or tanking and needs to begin building a set.

At some point systems become so 'helpful' that they're a detriment. For that reason we have to reach a point where we're making sure we're stopping the majority of negatives, but not squeezing the egg of problems so hard that we create four messier ones.