"Nature's Swiftness" as an "Oh ****" button?

#0 - May 7, 2007, 7:29 a.m.
Blizzard Post
One of the problems we face as tanks is the slight lack of panic buttons. It's mostly down to LoH, which kills all our mana, and is on a 1 hour CD.

So I was thinking, maybe we should get our own version of Nature's Swiftness (Holy Swiftness). Same thing, but for holy spells.

Now, bear with me here. This would make the next holy spell instant. What are the spells that would benefit from this? Holy Light, Flash of Light and Holy Wrath. Now, we can discout the instant Holy Wrath as a situational novelty due to the huge mana cost and limited use. But now we can pop an instant HL every 3 minutes, granting us an emergency escape button. Holy Swiftness would not be affected by or cause global cooldown.

The warrior talent of comparable quality would be Last Stand, but that's on an 8 minute CD, which would cause them to cry nerf (regardless of the fact that Last Stand scales directly with HP), so we raise the CD on Holy Swiftness to 6-8 minutes.

There, a panic button that ties directly into our caster nature, and all it took was a bit of ripping off.

Tune in next time when I explain why a mana return on blocks would be a bad idea long term :p

EDIT: This ability would be a 31 point prot talent, while the whole HS/BoS thing would be reworked (plently of good suggestions regarding that floating around)
#20 - May 7, 2007, 2:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
One of the problems we face as tanks is the slight lack of panic buttons. It's mostly down to LoH, which kills all our mana, and is on a 1 hour CD.

So I was thinking, maybe we should get our own version of Nature's Swiftness (Holy Swiftness). Same thing, but for holy spells.

Now, bear with me here. This would make the next holy spell instant. What are the spells that would benefit from this? Holy Light, Flash of Light and Holy Wrath. Now, we can discout the instant Holy Wrath as a situational novelty due to the huge mana cost and limited use. But now we can pop an instant HL every 3 minutes, granting us an emergency escape button. Holy Swiftness would not be affected by or cause global cooldown.

The warrior talent of comparable quality would be Last Stand, but that's on an 8 minute CD, which would cause them to cry nerf (regardless of the fact that Last Stand scales directly with HP), so we raise the CD on Holy Swiftness to 6-8 minutes.

There, a panic button that ties directly into our caster nature, and all it took was a bit of ripping off.

Tune in next time when I explain why a mana return on blocks would be a bad idea long term :p

EDIT: This ability would be a 31 point prot talent, while the whole HS/BoS thing would be reworked (plently of good suggestions regarding that floating around)

It's an interesting idea. Personally I haven't really found a good use for LoH (since it, as you say, kill all your mana) and a Nature's Swiftness rip-off would be nice.

That said, I thought I could never live without NS on my shaman and it was very reluctantly I chose not to spend talents on it when I respecced – and I don't even miss it all that much to be honest. I prefer not having to rely on panic buttons... ;)