Is this a scam e-mail?

#1 - May 26, 2011, 1:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I got a e-mail from "Blizzard" about me breaking the rules by apparently trying to sell my account. The e-mail is from wowaccountadmin@blizzard.com. I never tried to sell my account and when I go to the webpage, it is all white background with black text and blue hyperlinks and it wants me to confirm my account by entering my account e-mail and pass. Is this fake? Thanks.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#23 - May 26, 2011, 8:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Heya Igotbandaids,

I am glad the community was able to help you identify this email, you should always check the email headers of the emails you receive from us, here is some information that can show you how to verify if an email is legit or not, in the future.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/25133

What should I look for in the header?

Email headers contain information about the sender (who sent the email message), the path the email took to reach your inbox, and things that may have happened to the email before arriving. This information is very important and can be used to determine whether or not an email is malicious.
    Once you've accessed an email's header information, you'll want to attempt to verify the sending address. To do this, look at the "Return-Path" or the "originating address" for the email. For most phishing emails, the email address displayed in this location will differ from the address displayed in the "From" field.

A legitimate header from Blizzard Entertainment should look something like this:

X-SID-PRA noreply@blizzard.com
      or
      Return-Path: < noreply@blizzard.com >
      Received: from smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com ([XX.XXX.XXX.XXX]) by…
      Received: from … by smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com …
      for <Your Email Address>; Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:46:05 GMT
      To: Your Email Address

Please forward false emails to hacks@blizzard.com , at your earliest convenience. When forwarding the email, copy and paste the entire email header into the message body to ensure that we are able to identify the source. This information will help us prevent future phishing emails of the same type.