Nubski question on API

#1 - May 25, 2011, 5:42 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on any Blizzard forum. Anyway, I'm building a C# API wrapper and I got the realm status all done and I was reading the thread about the characters, guilds and arena teams. I tried testing the urls, but just kept getting this:

{"status":"nok", "reason": "Invalid application permissions."}

So, am I doing something wrong, or are those access points plainly turned off?

Thanks in advance!
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#3 - May 25, 2011, 3:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/24/2011 10:42 PMPosted by Nilah
So, am I doing something wrong, or are those access points plainly turned off?

The character, guild, arena team and data APIs are limited to a select few applications and consumers of the API while we finalize some of the details and collect feedback.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#11 - June 20, 2011, 4:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/19/2011 05:34 PMPosted by Nilah
Why is it that some entities get early access and the remainder of the community does not? It's basically selective treatment.

We've provided several of our partners (ie Heroic Prints, Figure Prints, Steel Series, etc) with access to help transition them away from the old API to the new API. It is selective treatment and there is nothing wrong with it. The old armory is still available; nothing has been taken away.

Who are they? Why do they get the early access? What are the requirements to apply? And, lastly, where does one apply for early access? It's seems obvious that on one here knows how to do that, so does that mean that you chose who gains early access?

Frankly, none of your business. If we've contacted certain people or groups for feedback, it is because we wanted specific feedback on key features that we know that they consume.

Do you really think that a couple of "high" profile groups will offer you more feedback than the entire community? We're pretty good at what we do, some of us make our living with programming, some do it for fun, but we can all contribute to the beta testing and feedback process for all of the APIs. So, why are you not giving us access and why are you letting a small group of users tell you what they want?

Yes. It doesn't make any sense to open up completely given the size of the community and the vast amount of data available. We've taken this time to slowly increase API load and widen the scope of data accessed, which is good for us and good for the community.

There are a few things that need to be cleaned up before the API is available. We expect to be done with the remaining tasks within the next week or two. I'll look into releasing the API documentation as soon as possible, even if that means before the API itself is ready to let developers read over the features and data structures.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#13 - June 20, 2011, 2:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/19/2011 11:39 PMPosted by Nilah
Those were rhetorical questions, I don't care to know their information, however, having said that, your response to those is a bit arrogant, regardless if you're the guy in charge or not.

I'm sorry. I had no way of knowing whether your post was sarcastic, elitist or simple entitled. I suppose the point was drowned out by the tone.

06/19/2011 11:39 PMPosted by Nilah
The point I was trying to make was that it's been weeks/months of you guys having announced those APIs and yet we've yet to gain access (is there only one person working on the API?).

I know, it must be frustrating. We are soo to close to releasing something that I'm pretty proud of and is leagues better than the armory XML provided currently. Stay tuned.

I think this thread has run its course. Locking.