I'm Speaking from the Heart, Blizzard.

#1 - May 24, 2011, 6:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I really am disappointed in your choice to nerf raid content. While I understand (sort of), the reason why, I think that we're going to run into the same problem where people will say that T11 is too hard, because they will have steamrolled through current content.

Look, it's not that I don't want players who want an easier experience to experience the raid content. It's just that difficulty of raid content is part of the experience. I understand that you want to cater to a lot of people, Blizzard...

But have some integrity. You could have increased the quality of life of the actual game by leaving the difficulty as is. It leaves people with things to do.

I'm not going to say that 'you've caved into the QQ' because that's derogatory and rude. But I will say that I'm sad and disappointed that you make it so easy for players, only for those players to turn around and complain about how difficult content is the next patch.

It makes me sad to see the type of community that we're in. What happened to liking the challenge in something?
#2 - May 24, 2011, 6:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
If you want hard raid content the Firelands is there for you.

What we are seeing is just obsolete content getting nerfed to people can get geared easier for Firelands.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#42 - May 24, 2011, 8:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Plenty of people like the challenge, but not everyone has the ability or maybe even desire to be in a guild capable of tackling it right from the get-go.

It's always been our intent to offer new raid tiers in Cataclysm that are difficult to provide challenge to the raiding guilds, and then gradually allow older content to self-nerf as people gear up through VP, and then eventual literal nerfs to the content. That's something we've been communicating for some time.

Burning Crusade swung the pendulum one way, and Wrath of the Lich King swung it back too far the other. We're attempting to find that middle ground where there's still something brutally difficult for the cutting edge, but content gradually comes down until it's extremely accessible (ie PUGable) either simply through gear proliferation, or literal content difficulty nerfs.

There's always going to be two sides of the fence, some people want things more accessible for them and that's cool, we want it to be too, and some people think it should be difficult and always be that way because that's the way they had to do it. The fact of the matter is that as an MMO the end-game bar is constantly being raised, and progression content is in general not a place where we're going to purposefully gate prestige through difficulty. There are some exceptions of course, hard modes and unlockable bosses are purposefully there to be more difficult challenges, but as a whole our intent is to create a constantly moving ramp upward for Normal difficulty raids. That has to mean that the Normal raid content that was the hardest will one day be the easiest.

You will very likely see this same happen for Firelands when the raid tier above it is released.