NEW FROST SPELL replacing ice block

#0 - Nov. 8, 2007, 11:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
*** BEFORE YOU READ : *** only comment this topic if you took the time to read this post
Its only a suggestion to a speculation ( trainable iceblock )
This is a SERIOUS analyse and not a whine post.

A) Move cold snap to 21 point talent

B) Move ice barier down to 11 points ( an insert lower ranks of ice barrier eventually ? at low level ( before level 30 ) frost mages lack any defence since they dont have iceblock or barier.

C) replace the 31 talent spot by :

FROZEN WRATH ( Magical effect )
------------------------
- casting time : 1.5 seconds

- mana cost : 250 mana

- Affects your opponent with a magical debuf that lasts 30 seconds. When affacted by this spell your opponent is vulnerable increasing the damage it takes from all sources from the mebers of the party by 5 %. During the duration of frozen wrath, all of your spell casted upon your ennemy will return mana equal to 5% of the damage you deal

- no cooldown, can be re-applied after the duration or after it is dispelled.

D) Remove frozen core and replace it by

THICK ICE ( 3 point talent )
---------------

- Any frost debuf on your target or any frost buff on yourself will have 10/20/30 % chance to resist any form of dispell.

- Passive talent

E) EXPLANATION :
----------------------

1) If ice block gets trainable for all mages it means that :

- All specs become more viable for PVE or PVP.
- It doesnt mean fire and arcane wil become OP in pvp since iceblock can still be massdispelled and its still hard to survive while Focused fire.
- Making trainable iceblock weaker and buffing it trough talents untill the old one is NOT what mages want.
-COLD SNAP has to be moved to 21 points in order to keep an advantage in speccing frost.

2) Mage and surviviability :

- Right now mages have one decent PVP spec : frost.
- Fire is viable too in small scale pvp but has problems on large scale ( when focus fire )
- not ALL trees should be pvp oriented , giving all tress equal surviving chances as for example frost is not fair for other classes.
- Arcane could be a bit more decent , by removing useless talent trees and adding new active // passive bufs and by making SLOW undispellable. ( would be a pvp buff ) or at least add a side effect to the dispelling of it or make it harder to dispell

- Trainable iceblock is NOT OP : it can be massdispelled , has a debuff , makes u unable to act for 10 seconds if not cancelled. Right now it could be inserted to give other trees a CHANCE not only in pvp but also PVE encounters !

3) why get COLD SNAP as 21 point talent

-Read 1)

4) Why does ice barrier get down to 11 point ?

- Iceblock will be trainable at level 30 ( if we assume it will remain like now ) and so will be coldsnap ( because of logical purpose ). Having both spells aviable on the same time is logic since the only spell that got reseted by coldsnap was frostnova ( when iceblock wasnt aviable yet ).

-At lower level ( before level 30 ) frost mages miss the surviviabilty they are supposed to have. At that level they dont have iceblock yet , neither coldsnap. The only is extra burst from shatter and imp chill effects. I tought getting a shield earlier would be good.

- The position of COLD SNAP // FROZEN WRATH and ICE BARRIER aswell as the aviabilty of trainable iceblock is open to speculations. Tell me what you think.

5) Why Frozenwrath ? is it OP ?

- U will see that it is kind of like Vampiric touch exept it doesnt do damage. the reason for this is that mages aren't classes supposed to deal damage trugh dots.

- Its a magic debuff that is dispellable but it can be improved trough THICK ICE.

- ALL mages have issues with mana in both PVE and PVP

- That spell does benefit partymembers : mages will also be in better sinergy with other dps classes

- It returns mana to the mage only ( not to the party because combined with Spriest it would be OP )

- on a fight where the mage deals 500.000-600.000 damage it would mean th mage gains back around 3000 mana wich could be equal to 2 mana potions or extra evo ticks.

- I Still doubt it will totally help the problem of mana but it enhances certain combinations // it helps if you are PVE specced ( frozen wrath + frost channeling + mage armor + buffed mana gems + fixed evocation = win )

- Its very good for PVP aswel if it goes combined with the mana gem buff and a fix of te intelligence on the mage set.

- the ammount of mana gained trough FROZEN wrath is open to speculation : I choosed for 5 % of dealt damage since its similar to Vampiric embrace and it doesnt have to be too OP aswel.

6) THICK ICE ?

- Some people state : frost mage is all about burst.. Now our burst is from : the critical strikes on frostnova // the extra frostnova from the Elemental

problems : elemental gets bannished // 2 shotted
frostnova breaks on 1 hit // instant dispelled in 2-3 healer teams

- If we dont have the above abilities mages can sometimes be close to useless ( exept the cc they bring )

- that why we have to give frostmages a better chance to CC efficiently : this can be done trough THICK ICE. Its similar to warlocks contagion aswel as many other talents from other clases ( like paladins stoicism )

- It doesnt make frozen wrath useless in pvp ... therefore a similar buff should exist for arcane SLOW aswell

-----------------

--- If u have positive ( or negative ) comments be constructive : try tp not just quote and say stuff like "CLUELESS".

--- I don't claim to know everything about mages or pvp mechanics but I just try to find a way to ehance gimped gameplay.

--- I don't feel like frost is the only tree who needs help. Because of time I only added solutions to frost but I am aware that for example arcane need some love aswel

--- Forgive my bad english , am just a frenchie :D
#23 - Nov. 8, 2007, 1:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
less CAPS please