*that name is unavaliable*

#1 - May 20, 2011, 2:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I am so tired of seeing this message when I try to make a new charactor. When you get it, odd are its a lvl 6 human toon that hasn't played in 3 years taken that name you want.

Is there anyway we can get these toons cleared up, I propose that any char lvl 20 or under *trial account max* after 6 months of neglect is auto eraced.

I'll admit this isnt the cleanest method of cleaning them up but its needed, it could be liminted to toons with less than 1k gold *bank alts* or only affect trial accounts.

The process doesnt matter that much as long as it makes it so I don't have to look up random words in japaneese when I want to make a new alt.

Oh and twinks, any toon with a heirloom is safe as long as you keep your account active,

I know how im going to get alot of trolling on how this is a horriable idea but instead of that, you could make sugestions to this instead because I know I'm not the only one tired of seeing that message.

I know this idea is really... rugged right now but im only one person, so dont waste your time trolling, ill know you didnt read it if you dont put this fish --> <>< in your trolling.

Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#8 - May 20, 2011, 2:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/19/2011 07:18 PMPosted by Thougar
I know how im going to get alot of trolling on how this is a horriable idea but instead of that, you could make sugestions to this instead because I know I'm not the only one tired of seeing that message.

I don't know about horrible, but we generally do not erase characters, even if they are on trial accounts. :)

If a name is in use and you would like to inquire see if it can be made available, submit a petition. Under specific conditions we may free up a name.

We are unable to change an existing character's name to that requested name but if it qualifies we can make it available otherwise. That way you may either create a new character with that name or use the the name change or related service to acquire the name.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#28 - May 20, 2011, 5:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/19/2011 10:21 PMPosted by Lakhesís
Probably we should be more creative in our naming, but we're human.. so we're not.

I always thought humans pretty much cornered the market on being creative. Unless you know of a penguin who sculpts or a tiger that plays the banjo. :D

05/19/2011 10:21 PMPosted by Lakhesís
I would like to see Blizzard be more open about precisely what these conditions are.

The best I can give you for now, is the following taken from our Q&A session last month through twitter for @BlizzardCS.

Q): What's the policy on requesting long-reserved, unused character names getting freed up? - @SymphFan

A): This seems to be a common question. First off, we never want to take a name from someone that has put a significant amount of time into developing a character. Also, a lot of names seem to be “unused” but are being held by active players that haven’t logged in with that character for a while. Since this is coming up more frequently, I think we’ll take a closer look at how we handle these cases while protecting folks that consider the name to still be in use. Stay tuned for more information.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2416195993
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#34 - May 20, 2011, 6:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
05/19/2011 10:39 PMPosted by Kídaru
I did that, a while back. There's a lvl 58 Blood Elf Death Knight with my name 'Kidaru'. Hasn't been logged online since 2009. I even checked the armory.

I'm not certain where you are getting your login information but it is very much incorrect. How long ago one may have logged into a particular character is not a factor.

Ok so what if you do get into a coma/get deployed/other randomness im saying it only affects toons UNDER LVL20 honestly if you cared about that toonthat much you would have sent him a heirloom or something

Not everyone can purchase heirloom items, nor would they be required to. While you believe that is a determining factor if they "honestly cared" that is not shared by everyone. We have specific policies in place, that is our current determining factor.