Warrior vs Bear, who will tank?

#0 - Nov. 20, 2006, 12:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Had a little friendly argument with a friend of mine about warriors vs druids in tanking.

Who will be chosen to tank when TBC comes out? Will the druids get nerfed again because a majority of classes think we have too much armor and hp?

Anyways, Ill paint you the picture:

We were talking about the patch notes for 2.0.1. and the druid issue came up....

Druid #1:
Q u o t e:
In a similar vein to this thread, from the current expansion beta patch notes:

- Consumables can no longer be used in forms. This includes bandages, potions, thistle tea, food, or any other reasonable item that any other class can use.
- Improved Leader of the Pack changed from 3 points at 2/4/6% to 2 points at 2/4%.
- Weapon procs no longer fire for a druid in feral forms.
:(

Druid #2:
Q u o t e:
On the plus side primal fury and blood frenzy (free rage/combo points on crit) are now the same talent. Small mercies eh.

Here's where our arguer for warriors come in:

Warlock:
Q u o t e:
http://homepage.mac.com/daniel.harris/.Pictures/wow/BC%20Beta/Picture%20131.jpg

from: http://homepage.mac.com/daniel.harris/PhotoAlbum36.html

small mercies. :)

and here's where I come in:

Druid #3(me):

Q u o t e:
No offence, but we already had high armor.. although I love that we are getting even more - its not that high when you consider the fact that warriors also get parry, block and way better tanking ability vs magical creatures, all we have are high sta and armor, and maybe dodge :)

Bear in mind(Oh a pun!) that the way dmg reduction works, is that it is reduced when you lvl up, lvl 70 bosses hit even harder than lvl 60s(naturally), near 20k armor at lvl 60 is great, but at lvl 70 its not

Weapon procs and potions where stuff which made most of the druid feel like a REAL class for once, why we are the only class that dont get this is beyond me... and dont come and say that its because we are animals(cat bear form), when a damn COW can use those! This made a lot of druids RIOTING on both the forums and the game(http://www.everquestplayer.com/md/druidqq.wmv), a lot of us are tired of getting nerfed....

Here's how druids are able to use potions:
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9623/pothatwt0.jpg

Problem solved

Warlock:
Q u o t e:
You have more armor than a warrior, by far. you have better flat mitigation, not depedant on procs. that's what makes bears different. you're based on soaking damage. as such, the HP and armor changes in TBC is awesome for you, especially combined with feral talents.

as for armor values, the goal is always 75% mitigation which is the cap. the higher level you are, the more armor that requires.

as for pots it's not fun, but I sadly see a reason not to give bears pots. one is the obvious stonesheild-to-get 75% in mid combat, the other is simply to ensure that you have *no* escape buttons. a warrior has those in plenty, especially if he's prot. your job is to soak and be healed to take that DPS intake. it's a different tanking style, different mechanics and as such, different rules.

Inner Sanctum used bears for 4h partially due to the different mechanics of bears. high HP pool, great flat mitigation. bears work, they just work differntly. ;)

Druid #3(me):
Q u o t e:
Yeah, bear tank works, but in my opinion not as well as a warrior tank, they have a lot more abilites as a tank - like they should as a mother class. But like I've seen a lot on warrior forums, is that druids are better tanks than them, which is just plain wrong.. We rely on high armor for out defense, while a warrior is free to stack up on other defensive stats like +def, block, parry, a lot of tanking gear out there has +block chance on them, something a druid has no use for

Druid tanking gear consists on two stats, HP and armor. Anything else than that you have to waste either one to get, getting high dodge is hard to combine with high armor or hp. So we are basically big hunks of meat, which has the highest chance to get a "mocking blow" than any other tank.

Besides, like you said, the cap is set at 75% so what happens when we pass that? We get more armor than we can benefit from, there's no use having 30k armor if it does the same as 20k :?

We dont rely on procs, nor do we rely on weapon dmg or dps, we only equip slot that has NO USE apart from stats is the weapon slot, we might as well remove it completly... Its unfair to alienate an entire class from enchants which would benefit us a lot in both PvE, and especially PvP. The same goes for potions, a tank not able to use a healthstone, or health potion at the right time, might be the difference they would chose a warrior tank over a bear tank

Getting weapon enchants that proc + use potions in forms, isnt that much to ask, and its certantly not overpowered. The mechanics are already made for it, it did work in BETA.. but just as other classes start screaming IMBA on class forums, without actually knowing how druid mechanics work, the dev change it back. You could argue that the devs have forgotten what the idea of a druid was, and doomed it to do nothing else but healing

Comments?
#26 - Nov. 21, 2006, 2:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm fairly sure most guilds will be using a protection warrior as a tank, but I don't think the ones going for a druid will be disappointed. Both will do a good job, with the warrior having a small edge. That's my personal opinion.