"Dear customer, users have been complaining."

#1 - May 9, 2011, 6:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
You ever get someone whispering you every once in a great while saying that they're from Blizzard or a GM, telling you go to some mysterious website to verify your account so that you won't get banned?

They must think I'm stupid or something. For me, it's insta-ignore-then-report. It's amazing how they try to disguise themselves, using odd characters that make themselves look like Blizzard.

"Blízzard" was one I came across. Didn't notice the accented character, huh?

Just for amusement... you guys get these every once in a while? More amusingly, has a GM-player character been whispered to in this way?

Most people on the forums here probably know that when a GM wishes to speak with you, you get a specific alert message on your screen, which usually opens in a separate chat window, also with the GM chat badge attached to their name.

These users, BTW, are bots 99% of the time, and for some reason, you can't even whisper back to them, as they are "offline" or "user does not exist." Curious...
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#10 - May 9, 2011, 9:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/09/2011 06:29 PMPosted by Sonicgott
Just for amusement... you guys get these every once in a while? More amusingly, has a GM-player character been whispered to in this way?

I've had characters on my personal account whispers on rare occasion.

Just right click to report them and they are quickly dealt with though. That is what the feature was implemented for. :)

That and I made a macro that says SPAM! over and over again all in caps for about 255 characters or whatever the cap is. So if I get a gold seller guy psting me I just put them on whisper and click that 20 times. That will teach them to whisper me.

Many of these characters are automated, and when it isn't, they aren't really looking at responses. I'd avoid violating our spam policies. :)

05/09/2011 07:54 PMPosted by Ljosine
Also, In Game Support (Game Masters) always have a blue Blizz logo on in front of their names and have a separate window for in game chat

We have a support article that illustrates that fairly well. :)

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/30829