Why do we need to be nickeled and dimed?

#1 - May 4, 2011, 4:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I have no problem with the 15 a month subscription. It's fine.

However, I fail to see why a character rename is ten dollars, why a realm transfer is 25 dollars, why a faction change is 30 dollars, and why a character re-customization is 15 dollars. It makes little sense to me why we would have to pay those kind of fees in order to play the game how we want on top of a 15 dollar subscription. If the prices were divided in half, Blizzard would still make money.

Why can't the players ever feel like they're getting a deal?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#45 - May 4, 2011, 6:14 a.m.
Blizzard Post
These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)