A little confused.. (Naming Policy)

#1 - April 14, 2011, 4:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
A: Rules Related to Usernames and Guild Designations....

...(vi) Belonging to any religious figure or deity;

This is clearly stated on the Warcraft terms of service. However, I recently came across a character named Yahweh, which, in the Hebrew scriptures the Jewish name of God is considered sacred and, out of deep respect for the name, Jews do not say the name of God and do not erase it if it is written. A quick search across WowArmory shows this to be true for many variations of different God's names, be they Hindu (3rd largest religion), Islam (2nd), or Christian. I realize the Jew's come far below at ninth, in terms of adherance, but still, why are so little naming conventions allowed?

Allah is not allowed, nor variations. Neither is Jesus. Krishna is also disallowed.
However..
Yaweh is. Jehovah is. All of the 100 Variations as listed in the Qur'ran.
Muhammad is. Shiva is.
Elohim is. Rama is.

I'm not looking to create some kind of trouble, or ask that you unlock the names, or lock them ,or something ridiculous. I just wonder why some religions were left out, even though they are still major religions. Feel free to agree or disagree, but if anything, be constructive. For discussions sake, I am Jewish, and that is why I noticed this, and it caused me some concern that my deity may somehow have been less important, perhaps.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#39 - April 14, 2011, 6:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/14/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Dacu
I just wonder why some religions were left out, even though they are still major religions.
Dacu,

Our developers make games, not write books on religion and due to the amount of literature that is available around the globe, it’s very possible that not all names within them will be included as part of names we block. It is for that reason that we have policies in place that allows players to report names that have religious connotations.

Naming Policy
**Have any connotations of major religions or religious figures (i.e. Jesus, Christianity, Buddha)**
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20368

If you come across any of these names, you are more than welcome to report it.