Twinks - the scum of Azeroth

#0 - Sept. 15, 2006, 8:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The character I'm posting on is an alt of mine. PvPing with him briefly, I have discovered that twinks have completey ruined the 10-19 BG. They have most likely also ruined the 20-29. I managed to play three WSGs today, in all 3 twinks not only slaughtered all but also camped our GY. They completey sucked the fun out of the game. They are a major problem.

Many twinks will now reply, 'but it's for fun' or 'you can get the equipment'. You are ruining the BGs and deterring people to play. It may be fun for you, but for any sane customer who doesn't spend 100s of gold on a lvl 19/29 character, it's not fun at all!

Now I don't mind the blue equipment because yes people can get that. But lvl 60 enchants? What the hell? Are you so bad at PvP that you need to spend over 100g to defeat a new player in 10-19, 20-29 bracket? My theory, along with many other people, is that you struggle with PvP at lvl 60 and so 'twink' a character.

Blizz, make the game fun again. Make high level enchants unusuable on low level weapons and armour!
#3 - Sept. 15, 2006, 9:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think this is a matter of different playstyles, but as they affect each other very much there's bound to be conflicts, and colourful language on the forums.

On one side you have the more casual (not real casual, just more casual than the hardcore guys) PvPers of lower levels, playing some PvP for fun or to get an early rank or two. On the other side you have those who consider tweaking, twinking and squeezing as much efficiency as possible out of a lower-level character as possible a game in the game itself. I personally fall into the former group, but can definitely understand the latter too. When I came across a lucky Night Reaver drop in SFK the other week with an alt I smiled at the idea of putting it on a level 19 and go have fun in WSG. I haven't sold it yet. ;)

These are two different worlds of PvP play at that level, with many zones of grey in between. While those playing with "regular" characters hate being slaughtered by the twinks, I think many twinks would actually very much enjoy the challenge of meeting opponents of the same mindset (but yes, like everywhere, some don't, and those are the ones we remember - like that one corpse-camping level 60 rogue in Ashenvale when we had just turned 25 :p ).

We've talked about a match-making system in the past, and while I have no more info on it at this time I hope this will help alleviate the conflicts that arise from "twinks versus regulars" in Battlegrounds. If you have thoughts or suggestions for that, I'm all ears.
#26 - Sept. 15, 2006, 10:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
By the way, I'm all up for HKs = exp. Though I'm sure many would disagree with the idea.

Personally, I disagree. :)

As I said, twinking is a game within the game to some, and instead of finding ways to take it away from them (by forcing them to level) I think one should focus on making sure the different groups of PvPers can meet adequate (if not necessarily like-minded) opposition.

There are several ways to be good at PvP though. Some are good at reaction-based game-play (execution), some are good at selecting or even making add-ons that give them important information (technology), some have the patience to drag a twink through multiple quests and instances (perseverance), some are good at careful planning and preparation (strategy), some are good at leading or working in groups (teamwork). Good PvPers have skills in several of these areas - the best probably excel (or have team mates that excel) in most or all of them (and probably some I didn't think of right now). Saying reaction-based skill and knowing a class perfectly should count more than twinking patience or team-play (pre-made groups) is in my opinion too simple. Its quite complicated, and hard to match-make perfectly.

I mentioned match-making twice already. There are also other changes to PvP coming (TBC). I think we're moving into a very interesting period when it comes to PvP in WoW. There will be many changes, which always bring some opposition, but I look forward to it myself and hope you share that enthusiasm.

(Now you must excuse me for stopping typing, but I'm expected in-game. Tomorrow is BBQ night, so I want to get some gaming done tonight. :p)

(Edit: typo and added some terms in parenthesis)