Eh, I Feel Lame For Asking...

#0 - Oct. 12, 2006, 12:29 a.m.
Blizzard Post
But... Can anyone tell me what's going on with the new PvP system? Pretty much, what is it? I've heard very little about it and I'm generally pretty bad when it comes to keeping up to date on information, so if anyone could explain the arena system and/or the new honor system, it would be greatly appreciated =)

-Brue
#10 - Oct. 12, 2006, 12:49 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hmmm...let's see if I can do the quick and dirty version...

All reputation and honor rewards will be moved to one market with which Honor Points are the new currency.

Honor points are gained through the same activities as before. Difference is, they will accrue like XP in a way, so players can stock up on honor points without having to deal with decay of these points.

Arena points are gained from being in a chartered Arena group (like a guild charter) and competing in matches to achieve Arena ranks.

Arena ranking works in an ELO-type system, similar to chess. It puts the focus on winning select matches, not on continually grinding out matches.

An arena season will last about 3 months, after which, top-ranked players will gain titles reflecting their previous seasons ranking.

The best Arena rewards will be on par with top-tier raiding gear, but have stats designed more for PvP than PvE.

In summation, the approach to BG rewards is time-based in that you can devote short or long periods of time to achieving rewards. Arena rewards are competitive-based. While an arena team won't have to be logged in for extended periods, they will likely have to win every match of the 10 required to see a spotless ranking.

#13 - Oct. 12, 2006, 12:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Two players have X honor in BC. One is revered with AV, one is honored - is there any difference in what they can buy?

No.
#17 - Oct. 12, 2006, 12:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Alright cool, thanks for the feed back. Are there certain amounts of players that you can have in the arena? From what I gathered from my friends, you can have 2v2, 3v3, etc. etc. Is this true?

Edit:: Thanks Phyl =D <3 Mucho

There will be charters available for the different group compositions. 2v2, 3v3, 5v5.

A player can be a member of each type of group, so they could effectively be on three different arena teams.

So, a player looking to maximize their ranking will likely be involved in all three brackets.
#20 - Oct. 12, 2006, 12:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Is the Arena currency all one currency or are there different ones for different brackets?

Arena points are all one thing. No subdivision.
#26 - Oct. 12, 2006, 1:05 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Does this mean that it will take three months for ANYONE to get ANY points

No, all players start with a 'pillow' of Arena points to establish rank at the outset.

Q u o t e:
, and three more months to get an item even if you're just one point away?

No. Points are awarded on a more regular timeline. As far as I recall, they'll be tallied every week.

#28 - Oct. 12, 2006, 1:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Tseric! Ol' buddy ol'pal...

Any chance of Specialty brackets for handicap matches? (Wow, that sounded very un-PC.)

It sure did...

No plans for something like that. Everyone competes in the same ladder.
#41 - Oct. 12, 2006, 1:29 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So, your rank is calculated every three months. Are your weekly point gains based solely on your current rank, or also by performance that week?

Titles for the Arena will be awarded tri-monthly. Points will be gained weekly, based on that week's performance. The way current rank will affect points will be in the match itself. If you are a higher ranked team matched against a lower ranked one, you will gain less points for winning than you would a same-ranked team. So, both parts are a factor.

The current rank will determine how many points you could get from beating a different team.

The performance of the week would include meeting the minimum ten matches played for the week. If you don't meet the minimum, you won't be eligible for points.
#42 - Oct. 12, 2006, 1:30 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Okay, so that means no more Mana Biscuits for me. I guess I'll deal.

If I fill my bank with them prior to TBC, will you let me keep them?

You mean AD mana biscuits? Those aren't going anywhere, nor will they be outlawed.

Consumables from BG factions will still be available in the honor rewards. They will just have a different value of Honor points instead of gold.
#47 - Oct. 12, 2006, 1:35 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
WoW! Great replies Tseric! Thank you very much for giving us a bit more info.

Since you're here and answer questions: What will happen to AV with the 61-70 crowd? Will there be a harder version? Will we be not allowed to enter at all if you're over 60? How will that work?

The current top bracket for BGs is actually 60-69. Because of the level cap, nobody really saw this. When the cap is increased this will basically take effect and the new single level bracket will be 70.
#53 - Oct. 12, 2006, 1:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
All players in the server will be competing in Arena Rank to THEIR server exclusively or to their BattleGroup ?

Just their realm, not the battlegroup.