dial in authenticator hack

#1 - April 1, 2011, 2:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
this morning i found in my email a notice from blizzard that my account password was changed last night WHILE i was online. fortunately i was able to reset it before someone was able to take everything from the account. how is this possible when i have a dial in authenticator where my account cannot be accessed unless from my home computer or unless i call in and give my pin number?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#21 - April 1, 2011, 4:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Welcome to the Customer Support Forum, everyone. Please mind your P's and Q's while posting here.

Fëarce -- It does look as though the password was changed this morning and not by you, from what I can see.

You will only be prompted to make the phone call if the login attempt appears suspicious or unusual. It does not prompt for a code each and every time you log into the game or website like the mobile authenticator or the keychain authenticator does.

If you have a compatible cell phone you may wish to switch from the Dial-in Authenticator to the Mobile Authenticator. Compatible cell phones and providers can be found here:

Mobile Authenticator Compatibility
http://mobile.blizzard.com/us-en/support-compat.html/

I would also highly recommend thoroughly scanning your computer for any malicious software if you have not done so already. More information can be found in the Knowledge Base articles below.

Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#23 - April 1, 2011, 4:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/01/2011 09:32 AMPosted by Fëarce
i changed it this morning. your 1st notification email came last night at 8:33pm. but yes, the hacker could have also changed it this morning, do you have records of TWO changes this morning?

I show 1 change this morning and 1 change last night. The change last night was the change I was referring to in my initial response. My apologies for the confusion.