Forum character racial stereotyping

#0 - Oct. 20, 2006, 4:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I am by no means claiming this to be 100% accurate, there may be exceptions and the data may be off, but here goes:

Based on reading these forums now for several months at work, I have come to the following conclusions about the personalities or tone of the posters based on the race of the avatar.

Human: Arrogant at times, tends to be a know-it-all but often backs it up with facts or "truthiness" Can be a jerk at times and most attempts at humor totally fail.

Gnome: Entertaining and often hyperbolic but coupled with a tendency to be arrogant.

Dwarf: Mostly down to earth, observations tend to be hearthfelt and possess a lot of "truthiness" but tend toward brusqueness when challenged or speaking their mind. Trying to debate one on the forums often feels like trying to debate your father.

Night Elf: Easily the masters of making posts built on strawman arguments and almost as arrogant as human avatars but lacking the swiftness to even guise their post in seeming credibility. Very often asshats. The Alliance version of the Orc.

Undead: These are the clever chaps. Kings of the one-liners and most often likely to post something that makes you laugh so hard you almost get fired. They can be trolls par excellance and their trolling is often more entertaining than any other troll post. Somewhat punky and smartmouthed, but willing to admit mistakes and shortcomings.

Tauren: Often very basic. They tell it like it is, even if what it is is wrong. Humor is more akin to homily and engaging in a debate with one makes you feel like you are talking with Garrison Keillior(sp?) of Lake Wobegone Days. Views can be very insightful and often backs up info with fact and the format is very basic and seldom merits TLDR.

Troll: Like dwarves when they post the post is very heartfelt and be it right or wrong it smacks of "truthiness" Often they give the undead a run for the money in troll posts, and often they can be entertaining. Have a high percentage chance of posting something that makes you laugh so hard you almost get fired.

Orcs: Hard-headed and obdurate these scrappers are right even when they are wrong. Any fact they cite or veiw they post is clearly gospel. Trying to discuss anything with one is like trying to discuss something with a fanatic. Often arrogant, they feel they can counter a wall of text based on facts with a single dismissive sentence.

At least this is my take on it all when looking at the forums for a while.

These statements are blanket statements and based on the stereotype of the poster using the avatar based on their own posting behavior. It is not intended as a player guide or anything like that, just a commentary on forum behavior.
#6 - Oct. 20, 2006, 6:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
What about candles, dripping oozing homicidal trees, titans and whelplings? Just because we're in the minority doesn't mean we don't count!
#9 - Oct. 20, 2006, 6:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So what about those that hop between gnome and tauren?

Confused?
#15 - Oct. 20, 2006, 6:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Apocalyptic Omnipotence

Awesome. I like it.
#67 - Oct. 20, 2006, 11:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Bite me, steakburger.

Now I'm hungry. Thanks :(