A question on spell dmg gear....

#0 - Nov. 8, 2006, 12:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
All right me and my friend are in a dispute right now over spell dmg gear. Ok here is the thing.

Lets say a person has +100 spell dmg gear with a +, not with an up to. My friend thinks that when the spell dmg is calculated the +100 is added directly onto the dmg you do. I think that the 100 is multiplied by a spell coefficient depending on its casting time, even if its a straight plus and not an " up to ". Who is right? He is a mage, and I keep telling him, don't worry about Straight + versus " up to " gear, just get w/e gear is nicer. But he won't listen to me. Am I right or is he? Thank you.

P.S. If possible could I have a link to some calculations pages to show him the info?
P.P.S. I'm level 40 now.
-MoBo
#4 - Nov. 8, 2006, 12:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Any spell damage quantity will be affected by the cooefficient related to cast time.

The same quantity of spell damage will translate differently for an instant-cast spell than for a 3.5 cast time spell, regardless of the tooltip.

The cooefficient always takes effect.
#5 - Nov. 8, 2006, 12:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
+ spell damage and "Increase spell damage by up to" effects are the same thing.

This is also true. It is simply a difference in phrasing, not a mechanical difference.
#16 - Nov. 8, 2006, 12:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

*gasp* a blue quoted me!

That aside, is there any reason WHY they are phrased differently on different items? It only adds to the confusion.

Formatting of tooltips is often the consideration here. The different phrase would be used in a tooltip that has constraints on space and layout.

While I can see it causing some confusion, most people tend to assume it is the same things for the most part. If they don't, they can come here and ask.

...the system works! :P