About accounts.

#0 - Nov. 14, 2006, 1:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Although I understand the thought behind banning the sharing of accounts, I was just wondering what exactly would be defined as sharing. So, I had a few examples I´d like people to look at and tell me what they think about each, and if they think these cases should be banned and why.

1. Two friends play on the same server, and raid often with their guild. Now, let's say one of them goes on a family trip over a weekend. This same weekend has a raid planned and the one that is leaving is the main tank/healer and would affect the run with his abscense. Then his friend who normally has a rogue offers to step in and play for him over this weekend to help the raid.

2. Again two friends, these two decide that their characters no longer interest them and decide to switch accounts, both would then pay on for their new accounts, they ownership would merely change.

3. A player decides to leave World of Warcraft, but knows a friend who wants to start playing, so he gives this friend his account and the friend payes every month like the old owner used to do.

4. A guild enchanter gives a few of his friends his password and account name to allow them to enchant items when he is not playing.

All above examples are viewed as a non-scam situation, although the risk of being scammed is always there if your password is given away.
If I placed this in the wrong forum, I am sorry, and I hope this will be moved to the correct place.
#2 - Nov. 14, 2006, 1:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
1. Two friends play on the same server, and raid often with their guild. Now, let's say one of them goes on a family trip over a weekend. This same weekend has a raid planned and the one that is leaving is the main tank/healer and would affect the run with his abscense. Then his friend who normally has a rogue offers to step in and play for him over this weekend to help the raid.

Logging in on someone else's account to play: sharing.

Q u o t e:
2. Again two friends, these two decide that their characters no longer interest them and decide to switch accounts, both would then pay on for their new accounts, they ownership would merely change.

Logging in on someone else's account to play: still comes down to sharing.

Q u o t e:

3. A player decides to leave World of Warcraft, but knows a friend who wants to start playing, so he gives this friend his account and the friend payes every month like the old owner used to do.

See 1 and 2.

Q u o t e:

4. A guild enchanter gives a few of his friends his password and account name to allow them to enchant items when he is not playing.

Still sharing an account.

No matter how you look at it, as soon as you log in on someone else's account and play one of their characters you are sharing the account and it can get the account banned.

Avoid trouble and simply don't do it.
#6 - Nov. 14, 2006, 2:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
how bout if you shared your account and then that other person scammed you and took the account for good?

Here's my car key, take my convertible for the weekend, just bring it back in one piece on Monday. You do promise you'll return it, right? ...
#29 - Nov. 14, 2006, 2:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So its totally impossible to legally give/sell your account to someone else?

Although I wouldn't use the word "legal", yes, according to Blizzard policy and rules, this is not allowed.
#31 - Nov. 14, 2006, 2:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
It's a BS rule anyway.
At least some people in here are backing up their statements and opinions, your comment isn't helping in anyway.
#33 - Nov. 14, 2006, 2:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I drive my dad's car all the time. And my grandmother's. Heck, even my girlfriends car.

I'm even in the insurance policy of two of those, and when the cops stop me, they never see a problem with it.

Your analogy is incredibly shortsighted and in this case, extremely stupid.

I like your consistency with "logging in" as part of the violation; going by this, if I log in for someone else, then let them play, I am not breaking any rules.

Going on this text: how bout if you shared your account and then that other person scammed you and took the account for good?

I thought it fitting, but thank you for your candid opinion :)
#37 - Nov. 14, 2006, 3:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Out of interest, why doesn't that count? For a business making money is as real as it comes for a reason to do anything.

Beyond that the obvious reason is shared accounts have the potential to cause a massive overhead in terms of drama, complaints and disputes. The time it would take to deal with this would better be spent elsewhere.

Two very valid points.
#47 - Nov. 14, 2006, 3:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Other example.

Friend is interested in WoW.

You let friend create a alt to check it out.

Friend quite likes the game.

Friend plays more often on the check out char he created at your account.

Friend ends up with a mid level char.

Now, friend asks if its possible to transfer that char to a other account he owns...

Possible?

All hypothetical offcourse.

Unfortunately at this time we don't allow character moves to an account that is not registered with the same name.
#55 - Nov. 14, 2006, 3:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

You got a convertable, Damn blizzard are paying you too much !

Hah! I wish :)