Mage Arena tips for a nub

#0 - Feb. 21, 2007, 4:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi guys

So me and my pally friend decided to create a 2v2 arena team. Upon beginning our campaign, we got hammered 5 times in a row, and didn't kill a single opponent.

I'll fully admit that a lot of this is down to my inexperience with small scale pvp. I've only been in the battlegrounds really, but I'm finding it very hard to battle one on one. I seem to be picked on instantly by most classes, and wiped out within literally 10 seconds.

So, If anyone has any area tips for a mage lacking in skill, anything would be welcome :D

Cheers,

Boosh

#6 - Feb. 22, 2007, 2:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Thanks for the tips guys!

We added a third man to our roster, another mage. We played last night, about 20 games, and got creamed the first 5-6. But then things started to come together, and we pulled back to an almost 1:1 win to loss ratio!

I think a lot of this was learning your opponents, but also learning your team mate. We seemed to hit a groove, and ended up feeling more in control. We started hammering some of the new teams that came our way!

Ive specced to cold snap and ice block, and having these is amazing. Due to cool down removal at the start, im having x2 ice block, x2 frost sheild, x2 elementals if needed, which is great.

The two mage team seemed weak at first, but once we started playing to our strengths, we really started to take control. We would pop invis, and flank the arena, one at each side, before suddenly appearing and suprising the enemy. We managed to actually use the 'kill the mage first' disadvantage as one of our strengths! One of us would get charged, mostly by both enemy players, in desperation to kill us quick, and the victim would pop ice block. This would leave the other mage, at a good distance, and usually behind the enemy to easily get off some long cast spells, and drop them from a distance.

Once the attention is off, the first mage can break ice block, nova, and finish them off. We found that once the first member was down, the second one already history!

Hope I've described it well, but it was a great little tactic that seemed to pay off nicely!

Still a long way to go to improve, but after only 20-25 matches, I already feel like a much better player!

It's cool to see you're improving :) It's always nice when you practice and practice and things start to work better and better. As you say, it's a lot about team work, and using each other's skills well together.

Good luck in the future, let us know how it goes :)