Lackadaisical approach to bugs/exploits

#0 - March 14, 2007, 6:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Anyone ever play a game where serious bugs and/or exploits were not allowed to persist for weeks, if not months?

How about a game where players didn't exploit, because there was a fear of actual reprecussions for their actions?

All Blizzard seems to care about is gold farmers.

Meanwhile, I STILL can't cure rogue poisons. Mages are STILL blinking through the bubble in EotS.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are dozens more.

I realize that things take time to code, and that 8 trillion players is a lot to police. But you know what, Blizzard? It's YOUR responsibility to maintain the integrity of your game.

Remember the bevy of bugs in early WSG? The horde GY-climb, the logs, etc? Are you really going to consistently take so long to fix bugs, and never ban anyone for anything but selling gold and swearing in general chat?

I can't wait until a game comes out that's run by a company that's willing to sacrifice profits to make a game with some integrity. You run a game like this, and it turns into exactly what it is now... the playerbase is a cesspool. Just look at the names people run around with. People have absolutely no respect for the rules, because they are so very, very rarely enforced. You don't respect the game, why should the players?

Do something. Hire more developers. Hire more GMs. If not, well, I hope you realize that letting middle schoolers, or at least people who never matured intellectually beyond that point, run your game while you're off banning everyone playing from China, was not the right decision, once a decent game comes out.

That is, unless the experience of logging on to WoW and being bombarded by stupid just turns everyone off from the genre and kills the entire MMO industry. I wouldn't be surprised.
#3 - March 14, 2007, 6:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I disagree with your feeling that bugs and exploits are treated in a lackadaisical way. Of course, I see what goes on from the inside and see all the bugs that are fixed on a daily basis. We may not always list them all but as you may have noticed, we list as many as possible in the patch notes as well as have recently started listing hotfixes on the forums for people.

There is a process that must be done which includes first identifying that something is in fact a bug, then the team must be able to reproduce the bug (some are not so easily reproduceable), then they need to track down the exact mechanics that are causing the bug. After all of that, they must find a way to fix the bug in a way that doesn't cause problems elsewhere. Some bugs are fairly simple fixes and some are a bit more complex and have other issues associated with them that need to be all addressed at the same time which delays the fix for the first thing.

It's easy to sit on the outside and pass judgement because a bug that you take issue with hasn't been fixed in the timeframe you feel it should be. The reality of delays however can give a whole new viewpoint.