Oceanic maintenance, someone else can do it!

#0 - March 20, 2007, 11:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So why can't Blizzard?

And I quote:

Q u o t e:

Oceania Maintenance Time Changed:

In response to player feedback, we've changed the Oceania shard maintenance time from 9am AEST to 5am AEST. It will go down at the new time for all maintenance cycles going forward.

This is for a game that barely has 200,000 players. Warcraft has 8,500,000 (apparently). So why can such a smaller game cater to such a smaller audience?

Please get technical with me! I study engineering at uni so I love to know how the universe flows. I'd love a real technical explanation as to why Oceania needs its realms down at 21:00 AEST.

I remember recently Oceanic realms were changed to a different schedule for one week, brilliant, why change that? It doesn't affect me at all, since I'm on a roleplaying realm and Oceania is denied that play style, but it's great for the other 100,000 Australians who play this game. And that's just Australia, not Oceania.
#42 - March 20, 2007, 11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
The answer is very likely that the servers which include the oceanic realms are all part of one very large server farm. This server farm will have some significant shared resources, some by cluster, and some by the total scope of the hosting location.

This is one of the larger reasons. The Oceanic realms are not seperate from other realms in so far as the maintenance procedures are concerned. They are integrated with other realms, so maintenance must be done for all realms in a given group.

As an aside, If one group of realms was up during an extended period of maintenace, one might think that the player population on those realms would inflate, somewhat.
#45 - March 20, 2007, 11:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

While I still think that inflation is a little unlikely (possbile but maybe not drastic) when you say the other realms are integrated that's fair enough. Was the recent seperate Oceanic maintenance a hint of something to come or simply a one-off situation?

Our recently stated realm maintenance schedule is what we are running with. I have not heard any word that we will be changing this to accomodate what you've outlined here.

Q u o t e:

A further question if I may, is there any word on an Oceanic roleplaying realm?

We're quite aware that the Oceanic population has no RP realm and would like one. However, we have no current plans to open any new realms. We will let you know should a new realm come down the pipe.