Spells / Fixes / Talents suggestions

#0 - May 1, 2007, 4:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Spells / Fixes / Talents Suggestions.

Hi, I'm reposting these ideas and modifying it so it looks more reviewable, since a majority of these ideas are seen as essential and needed by the shaman community.

_-*"Report this thread for sticky please! "*-_

This thread is open to constructive posts, ideas, brainstorming and suggestions that are made by this community. I do not wish flaming, spamming and trolling statements. And any statement regarding that the development team's ideal vision about the shaman class is what these suggestions are suggesting with and against.

I will give my own feedback, and try to put into perspective how a real life Shaman would reason with these suggestions.

I also credit all these Suggestions to the Forum communities loyal subjects.

Table of Contents

I. Spells
I.2 General Spells
I.3 Racial Spells
I.4 Totems
II. Fixes
II.2 General Fixes
II.3 Totem Fixes
II.4 Talent Fixes
III. Talents
III.2 Elemental
III.3 Enhancement
III.4 Restoration
_______
/ Spells \_________________________________________________________________________

I. Spells

I.2 General Spells

Earthquake
2038 mana
Channeled

Trembles the ground around you causing 1357 nature damage over 8 secs, slowing enemies by 50% for 10 secs.

:Feedback:
This spell is taken from the Mages 'Blizzard', but it has its mana cost increased and its damage decreased, compared to Blizzard Rank 7. such a spell would make an elemental shaman more needed, when encountering packs of mobs that requires aoe-ing and making PvP situations more interesting. The shamans do have low health, due to itemization, but they are allowed to use shields, making such an aoe a delicate choice for aoe-ing down mobs.
Such a spell would also increase the interest in previous "useless" talents as Shield specialization, Anticipation and Toughness.
_________
/ Windwalk \______________________________________________________________________

Windwalk
560 mana
instant 3min cd

Gains invisibility and increased movement speed by 30% for 6 sec, reducing threat each second and breaking slow and impair movement effects. The effect is cancelled if you perform or recieve any hostile actions. While invisible, you can only see other invisible targets and those whom can see invisible.

This spell would prove a great asset in PvP or for reducing your aggro in an instance or raid enviroment.
The enhancement shamans have craved for a better threat management, and I mean they should get it, in addition to increasing their survivability on the battlefield.
As I see it, a 3 minute cooldown is a reasonable balance for something that only lasts 6 seconds, and even if you want to use this spell, it will be rendered useless if you have a DoT on you.
______
/ Static \_____________________________________________________________________

Static
835 mana
channeled

Channels static electricity causing 943 nature damage over 6 sec.

This would be an interesting alternative instead of just spamming Lightning Bolt, and it would make being an elemental shaman alot more interesting for sure. Again, this is a spell partly taken from the Mages Arcane Missiles, though it has it's damage reduced and its mana increased compared to Arcane Missiles Rank 11.

Shadow Image
24% of total mana
instant

Your damage spells and melee attacks have a small chance to displace you, causing your next melee attack or damage spell to generate no threat. Lasts 30min.

This spell is an exact copy of the Paladins Righeous Fury, and is thought to be the counterpart-spell for shamans. But to make a few logical statements, the Paladins have a tanking tree which they excel in because of Righeous Fury. The Shamans have a dps tree which they excel in, but they do not have efficient threat management and often needs to stand still so the 61 point Protection specced Warrior can get more aggro.
I can honestly not see the reason for it to be like this.
This is a good spell to answer our counterclass, the Paladins.

Fire Shield
450 mana
Instant

The caster is surrounded by 3 balls of fire. When a spell, melee or ranged attack hits the caster, the attacker gets a debuff stacking up to three times causing fire damage over 15 secs. Lasts 10 min.
Only one Elemental Shield can be active on the shaman at any one time.

Such a shield would prove a viable asset in a PvP situation, and it's only natural to implement Fire Shield, when there is Earth Shield, Lightning Shield and Water Shield.
Great alternative spell for PvP usage.

Astral Projection
100 mana
2 sec cast

Projects your spirit, granting you a dream vision that lets you explore areas that are too dangerous to explore in person. Lasts 30 sec.

The Shaman has always been the spiritual guider and supporter in a group of inhabitants, and that the shaman can not project his own spirit and control it is a big let-down to me.
I value such spells very much, because I really miss the essence of how shamans really were back in the old stoneage etc. But this spell has a great PvE viability with it and would serve a raid very much.

Forked Lightning
870 mana
Instant 20 sec cooldown

Targets in a cone infront of the caster take 368 Nature damage.

This is a halfdeveloped spell copied from the mages Cone of Cold and has its lore back in WC3.
This would also be a good choice of variation to counter the not-so-fun Lightning Bolt spam-tactic.
Compared to Cone of Cold Rank 6, this spell has increased mana and decreased damage.
_________
/ Air Shock \_______________________________________________________________________

Air Shock
370 mana
Instant 20 sec cd

Instantly shocks the target with sharp soothing air, causing 393 Nature damage. It also reduces threat by a small amount.

The famous Air Shock into focus. It's a great suggestion, and has no doubt come before the devs countless times. But with the current state of shamans threat management in raid / group enviroments, this spell would be considered pretty much essential to actually be able to dps.
This spell would be an alternative shock to Earth shock considering the debuff from Stormstrike.
In addition, since it reduces the casters threatlevel by a small amount, it greatly favours PvE.
And would make the shamans able to actually autoattack without problem.

Hero Shackles
1057 mana 20 yard range
Channeled 2min cooldown

The spell shoots a net of magic wrapping around another player making him unable to do any action and making him immune to all damage for 12 seconds.

Personally I never liked this spell in WC3, since the graphics where just too lame, orange %!! ray spell.
But anyway, this spell is a CC, which disables both the target and the caster, good in both PvP and PvE.

Earthen Guard
850 mana 40 yard range
Instant

Spirits of the Earth grants the target +2000 armor. Lasts 30min

This is an interesting suggestion for a shamanic buff, and would benefit caster classes alot when facing aoe elite mobs. Only downside is that shamans are known to only buffing his group through his totems, and if that's how the devs view is on this, then if it's displayed through a totem, it resembles Stoneskin totem. But a good suggestion.
________
/ Thunder \_______________________________________________________________________

Thunder
670 mana 35 yd range
6 sec cast

Bursts a huge surge of Lightning causing 833-920 Nature damage and an additional 251 Nature damage over 12 sec.

This is a copy of the mages Pyroblast, in shaman elemental form, it has reduced damage and increased mana compared to Pyroblast Rank 10.
This spell would benefit elemental shamans in both PvE and PvP, with making variation in dpsing down targets. This spell could also be changed to alter status effects favouring PvP.
Overall, a great spell.
#170 - June 14, 2007, 10:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Browsing quickly through replies after checking the original posts I spotted a lot of interesting ideas. However, just out of experience I would suggest not being too specific in the suggestions.

A suggestion detailing a spell down to the numbers is likely to be judged based on those numbers, and discarded if they are not suitable, while a suggestion of the type "a new totem or totem improvement through talents to better keep PvP opponents from getting away" is more likely to receive more consideration and brainstorming if it seems reasonable. Just a thought.

In any case, a good thread. :)