Playing WoW in public...

#0 - June 26, 2007, 5:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Would you? :o

A storm knocked out our power last night for like 8 hours, so I said "hey, wanna go up to the fox and hound (nearby bar where a friend of mine bartends, w/ wifi) and play WoW? lol" ...my bf wasn't to into warcrafting at the bar, so he watched some baseball game while I played... :P

Apparently a lot of totally random people have level 70s, lol... First, a police officer walked up to me and started watching... When someone said something to him, he was like "Oh, yeah, I have a 70 lock ...and a 70 hunter." Then my bf went to check and see if our power was back on, leaving me at the bar by myself for like 5 minutes.... So, of course, some jock came up and started trying to talk to me... "you're playing a game? what's is it?" - he must have felt pretty rather cb'ed by the guy (Hello Icecrown server dude, whatever your name was.) that showed up right at that very same moment to be like "OH! World of Warcraft! ...Woah, you have a lot of AddOns. I see Titan Panel... What's that IM one? (WIM) That's kinda cool..." (Conversation ensues about various aspects of the game.... Jock has nothing to imput, so he gives up and walks off.)

...and, yeah... I just found it kind of funny.

I might even do it again sometime now. :o

edit: cliffs - "zomg, lolz!" aside, I find it interesting that a lot of random WoW players come out of the woodwork when the subject is made to seem less taboo and more open... + a change of scenery is rather nice to boot. (...and, yes, I am admittedly a bit ditzy at times.)

edit 2: Since people seem to keep asking about The Fox & Hound - it's a chain. They're everywhere. http://www.tentcorp.com/locations.php (So, no, I probably wasn't in your neighborhood - unless you live in west TN.)
#13 - June 26, 2007, 5:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Would you? :o

A storm knocked out our power last night for like 8 hours, so I said "hey, wanna go up to the fox and hound (nearby bar where a friend of mine bartends, w/ wifi) and play WoW? lol" ...my bf wasn't to into warcrafting at the bar, so he watched some baseball game while I played... :P

Apparently a lot of totally random people have level 70s, lol... First, a police officer walked up to me and started watching... When someone said something to him, he was like "Oh, yeah, I have a 70 lock ...and a 70 hunter." Then my bf went to check and see if our power was back on, leaving me at the bar by myself for like 5 minutes.... So, of course, some jock came up and started trying to talk to me... "you're playing a game? what's is it?" - he must have felt pretty rather cb'ed by the guy (Hello Icecrown server dude, whatever your name was.) that showed up right at that very same moment to be like "OH! World of Warcraft! ...Woah, you have a lot of AddOns. I see Titan Panel... What's that IM one? (WIM) That's kinda cool..." (Conversation ensues about various aspects of the game.... Jock has nothing to imput, so he gives up and walks off.)

...and, yeah... I just found it kind of funny.

I might even do it again sometime now. :o

I would if I had a laptop and wasn't in the comfort of my own home. Sure. Why not? It's not like having a large pimple or something. Now THAT'S embarassing. :(
#286 - June 26, 2007, 10:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'd like to remind people to please refrain from attacking others or derailing the thread with their own interjections about how the starting post should have been written. Comment on the topic if you wish, but please be respectful.

For me personally, I enjoy what I do for a living, I take pride in it, and I have nothing to hide. It's both my hobby and my career, and it's a part of who I am no matter what people may think of it. It's my life to live, not theirs. I'm sure that people that knew me in High School or even college would be surprised to learn what I do given that no one could ever peg me as a "type".

As many have reiterated, MMO gaming is breaking down stereotypes and becoming more appealing to a variety of people. WoW has been successful in going outside the 'norm' in this regard and from this point on I can only see those barriers breaking down even more.
#291 - June 26, 2007, 11:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I have a feeling Neth's got a huge pimple right underneath her lips. A huge one even I'd reconsider from cannibalizing.

It was an example! Not based on current reality. :( I can't believe I'm being passed on for cannibalization. That's just cruel. Thankfully I'm a candle and have wax lips.