The raiding Shadow Priest

#0 - Aug. 1, 2007, 8:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The Raiding Shadowpriest

I see same post all over again. What specc should I use for PvE raiding? What rotation shall I use? Then people show their specc, say how they do, many of them are very confusing.
So I'm writing this for the last time.

Why Shadowpriest in the raid? (Introduction)
Vampirit Touch – Causes 650 Shadow damage over 15sec to your target and couses all party members to gain mana equal to 5% of any shadow spell damage you deal

Shadow Weaving – Your Shadow damage spells have x % chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to Shadow damage. This vulnerability increases the Shadow damage dealt to your target by 2% and last 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.

Misery
Your Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay and Vampiric Touch spells also cause the target to take an additional 5% spell damage.

So...
Mana battery, increase shadow damage taken, increase all spell damage taken.
But the Shadow Priest is more than just a tool to buff up the raid, the shadow priest is also a huge damage dealer itself, top 3 on damage meters isnt uncommon in many guilds.

The Raiding Specc:
As a new Shadow Priest you cant look at other high end raiding shadow priest and copy their specc totally. Your specc is depending on your gear.

What shall I think about then?
First of all, your amount of spell damage. I usually take a margin on 1k spelldamage.
If you have under 1k spelldamage you have to use a diffrent type of rotation. You should base your damage on your DoTs and only Mind Flay. This might sound pathetic but this is because your Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death cost too much mana and the mana back is too small.You will go out of mana in no time.
When you get over 1k spell damage you should be able to use Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death in your rotation without any problems.

Second, your hit rating.
Why this is so important is because it decides how many points you need to spend in Shadow Focus. If you have ot rating on your gear you dont need to specc 5/5 in Shadow Focus and can therefore use those point someone else in your talent tree.

Use this template (Me and others have posting it on the forum before)
76 hit is the cap with 5/5 Shadow Focus
101 hit before you can go to 4/5 Shadow Focus
126 hit before you can go to 3/5 Shadow Focus
152 hit before you can go to 2/5 Shadow Focus
177 hit before you can go to 1/5 Shadow Focus
202 hit before you can go to 0/5 Shadow Focus

All numbers rounded up to the next whole number.

1% hit = 12.6 hit rating at level 70.

Personally I go for having 3 points in Shadow Focus. Then I have a specc I want. And can fill the rest with crit rating.

I suggest you use this specc and a base. When you get more hit rating just move points from Shadow Focus over to Impoved Mind Blast.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/priest/talents.html?500230013000000000000000000000000000000000503250310250103051551

Shall I explain this? I can do a few that have been talked about.
Unbreakable will – I am alliance, we have fear ward, and by looking on horde shadow priests they seem to choose Unbreakable Will over wand specc so I don think they have any problems with fears. And, you never use wands in raids anyway.You need to keep casting to keep the mana regain to your party up. (Or mages will whine ^^). This is also an anti silence effect, which is useful on many bosses with AoE silence. (Gruul, Azgalor for example)
Meditation – As a shadow priest you will have mana problems. Any mana regain is needed.
Inner Focus – Same goes with this spell. Free spell with 25% more crit chance.

Spirit Tap – Some priests might think this is useless, but its not! Many bosses have adds, adds will low amount of health. Time your Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death on these adds to trigger your Spirit Tap. A good example on low hp adds are the water elementals on Lady Vashj.

Talents you should NOT take:
Improved Fade: This talent is the most useless talent in the tree.
Improved Vampiric Embrace: This talent will only cause your threat to top the threatmeter. And let the healers do the raidhealing. See the health back with VE as a bonus. Dont rely on it.

The Rotation:
Im not gonna post a rotation you should use. Its also situational.
The things you should think about generally is too always keep your DoTs and debuffs up. Have a DoT timer to help you with that. Always have cooldown on Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death. Mind Flay between cooldowns for maximized dps.

Link:
http://www.shadowpriest.com/index.php – Our own forum! Some stuff might be old, but have loads of useful topics.

Feel free to add stuff I missed or things you disagree with.
Might have some misspelling. Can be word blind sometimes. English isnt my tougue.

Juubo
<My Littel Pwny>
#17 - Aug. 2, 2007, 2:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
An excellent guide. I have added this to the Informative and useful Priest threads sticky so that others can find it too:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=305840925