About WotLK and Illidan's Blades

#0 - Aug. 31, 2007, 3:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The Blades of Azzinoth, while extremley powerful now, will be obsolete like all the other weapons of the great heros in the past. Atiesh comes to mind, and a few other weapons that were supposidly the weapons of gods and great heroes.

The problem is that these weapons are becoming obsolete. Atiesh is only useful as a port to Karazhan as of now, and Medivh would have been better off using some random lv70 green staff of the sorcerer then Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian.

My main point is that you should make legendarys scale with level/gear somehow, so that they don't become obsolete. For example, for the dps of the weapons you could make them 2x the level of the weilder, or the weilder's AP/10. You get the general idea, this would keep them useful and make them actually useful to the heroes that wielded them.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want Illidan's great blades to be outshone by Deadly Kris of the Bandit.
#11 - Aug. 31, 2007, 4:01 a.m.
Blizzard Post
When you receive a legendary item, it is a special accomplishment that everybody who sees you with it will recognize. We don't want a person to get one of these and have it be so special that they never have to replace it. Like all items, they are meant to have their limit of power and you will eventually find a potential improvement to replace it and move on. We currently have no plans to change our design philosophy and allow items to scale with the player.

Q u o t e:
At the risk of sounding like a CM, Is it the weapons that made people like Illidan and Medivh badasses or were they really that powerful?

Sure makes my job easier. :)

Also, from a game play perspective, we feel it is more enjoyable for our players to have a chance at getting high profile items like these as opposed to making them impossible to receive. So we really like adding them to the game.
#148 - Sept. 11, 2008, 5:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

ORLY?

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2008/september/upgradeitem_1.jpg

So apparently its ok for these more common items to scale just by buying them with badges. Should these items really outlive a legendary?

A year old information is old.