Shaman tricks (gathered)

#0 - Sept. 3, 2007, 9:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Ok, about 1 month I started a topic in the hope of getting some more knowledge about the little tricks shamans can use: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=305801816&sid=1 .
By now alot of stuff has been said, I know I learned new things myself and I hope others have too. That topic has however gotten very long and it is already hard for someone to read thru it all, thus I have decided to put it all in one place, namely this topic.

I've divided the tips in 3 categories, General, PvP and PvE; General contains stuff that is valid for both PvP and PVE. I did not include 100% of what was written on the original one, but about 90% should be here. I left out many macros since they are long and there is a thread for them specifically. I also left out some things I found very obvious.

General tricks (both PvP and PvE)
- Earth Shield heals depending on the +heal you have when you cast it, not when it procs. This is why in important fights you should take the trouble of equipping your best +heal gear, put down Wrath of Air totem and cast it, then go back to the gear you will actually use in the fight (which might be mp5 oriented for example)
- For emergency interrupting I use the following macro:
/stopcasting
/cast Earth Shock
- After assigning a focus target (select the target and type /focus)
/cast Nature Swiftness
/cast [target=focus] healing wave
Is a very nice macro... for any healer (with class-dependent adjustments ofc) :).
- Alot of spells that would damage you will not destroy grounding totem, only consume its buff. for instance mana burn or dots. also when mob casts spells in quick succession, grounding will soak more of them
- You can use Totemic Recall just before your Grounding Totem or Fire Nova totem dies, and get the mana but also the totem effect will work... (EXPECT THIS TO BE REMOVED IN FUTURE PATCHES)
- Did you know that if you drop the windwall totem and then remove it, the buff it gives still stays there due to it being pretty useless and insignificant in the first place so you'd never notice. Amazing stuff !
- There's another tip in regards sentry totem, to save yourself some space on your action bars, never ever put sentry totem on there. Pretty cool.
- There's a trick to get two crits away with one Elemental Mastery. Before you cast Chain Lightning, activate Elemental Mastery. While you're casting CL spam ES for example. There's about 50% chance both will go of at exactly the same time, thus making the two of them both crits.
- Bloodlust dispels itself automatically if you get "stuck" when using it due to your size. Make sure you use it in clear zones.
- Elementals can (and should) be healed. The totem they're tied to, however, can't, so keep an eye on enemies attacking the totem.
- Lightning Bolt (Rank 1) is completely free if you have Totem of Lightning or Totem of the Pulsing Earth. This allows it to not trigger the Five Second Rule, as well as quickly proccing several effects like clearcasting or those of the kind of "chance on spellcast"
- Uses trinkets every time they're available before casting stormstrike.. For the extra damage without you having to remember to click the trinket first:
/use 13
/use 14
/cast Stormstrike
(Note: Watch out for proccing pvp trinkets with this macro. :) )
- Apparently it's possible to use both Windfury and Grace of Air totems by having a mod that shows the Windfury buff timer for party members. It's a lot of mana "wasted" but the increased DPS your rogues/warriors get should be worth it.
- This is obvious but alot of shamans don't know that poison cleansing and tremor totems tick when put down. As such to break a team mates fear just drop one near them. Same with poison cleansing. It's sometimes worth spamming poison cleansing totem to remove multiple effects quickly.
- The life of your earth elemental is the same as your life?
- If you are elemental and close to get oom: cast max rank lightning bolt then rank1 bolt, this will make you lose some dps due to global cooldown but it will give you 2x chance to get clearcast on the next bolt because the rank1 bolt is cast before the max rank bolt will arrive at your target(you have to stand at like 30yards away from the target)
#11 - Oct. 3, 2007, 3:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Looks good to me.
Added this to the compilation sticky:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=305841000&sid=1