Woodworking

#0 - Sept. 6, 2007, 2:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Is there any more information available on the coming profession woodworking?

Is it going to be a full profession or is arrows going to be the only thing it can make?

Will it require it's own gathering profession?
#7 - Sept. 6, 2007, 3:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Is there any more information available on the coming profession woodworking?

Is it going to be a full profession or is arrows going to be the only thing it can make?

Will it require it's own gathering profession?

Your post makes it seem like woodworking is imminent. :) It's definitely in consideration for the future, but for Wrath of the Lich King, we are focusing on Inscription as the next new profession.

More on what woodworking could possibly hold would have to be all based on wishful thinking and conjecture.
#27 - Sept. 6, 2007, 3:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

why is there a limit to just one new profession per xpac? Are the devs that short of ideas that they need to pace themselves?

We're never short on ideas. We have many that we would like to implement, but implementing them isn't always such a simple task.

For a new profession you need to consider:
How it will work?
Where will the recipes come from and where in the world will they be placed?
Who will the trainers be and what is their story?
What recipes are necessary and what materials are required for them?
What exactly will be the result of the profession as far as stat changes and enhancements be?
What art assets are going to be needed?
What technology will support it on the back end?
Why will people want it?
Is it ultimately fun and interesting?

And many more things. Then in the end, it must balance out with the rest of the game as well as with other professions. Combine that with all the other things we are working on for Wrath of the Lich King and it isn't something we can just toss together overnight.
#60 - Sept. 6, 2007, 4:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

in before the lumberjack song

Too late. It's already in my head. :(

Mephestas, while it's nice that you took a stab, I'd suggest you take it deeper than that. You're only designing at the surface with that brief write-up. As you well know, some art assets might be re-useable, but when we're talking about new and unique items in the upper end of the crafting profession, people are going to want to see new.

As far as technology goes, I mean back end technology that goes with it. Sometimes we need to find new ways of doing things and sometimes the systems are essentially already in place for us to use.

Like others have said, what's the unique 'hook'?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying to you that you need to spit out ideas for us. I'm just trying to bring out the backseat designer in you and push you to think on it a bit more. We like to take simple ideas and make them better, so while the idea is simple, "what makes it better?", is what I ask of you.