Um. In WotLK, why are we killing Malygos?

#0 - Sept. 18, 2007, 12:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The Protector of Magic doesn't seem like a healthy target to kill. I mean, sure he's verging on utter insanity, but he's got the backing of the other three Dragon Aspects.

Wouldn't killing him screw with the 'magic weave' or something?

Killing Vael, a good red dragon was justified. He asked you. Duh. but killing Malygos, who's good at heart but just downright insane, really isn't... Too... Lore-justified. Why not put Deathwing there? Where is Deathwing, anyway?

Killing Kael as a BE when Kael is virtually their most revered figure is kinda weird too... And Illidan and Vashj. If we kill them because they're insane, well, why?

There better be a long quest chain which explains why he needs to die or I'll be pissed. I barely accepted Flying Dalaran and Draenei... Now we kill a sentient good-aligned dragon. Woohoo.
#29 - Sept. 18, 2007, 2:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Malygos sees a world where magic is out of control. There are wizards all over the place, a floating city (cities if you count Naxxramas), and a re-opened portal to another world. The dragon knows that having magic run rampant like this can lead to more demon armies invading the land. As keeper of the world's magic, he feels it is his responsibility to declare war on magic and clean things up. Malygos isn't really evil, but he's definitely going a little crazy with things.
#51 - Sept. 18, 2007, 2:58 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
You did not answer the question as to what will happen to magic if/when the guardian dies, if indeed we do kill him (which you do not deny).

/not satisfied

i shall insert into here a comment that the blue dragonflight should not die. if Metzen does this... the storyline dies. a lot

We are still working on weaving all of the stories together that will go into Wrath of the Lich King and we don't want to spoil them. The result of this encounter will remain a mystery until some brave souls face Malygos in his lair in The Nexus and walk (or portal) out as the victors.