The Game is Looking Very Old?

#0 - Sept. 24, 2007, 5:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Are there any plans to revitalize the graphics engine? The game looks so "dated" in my opinion. I realize its a 2004 title but even for 2004 the graphics are old-looking. Low polygon counts, uninteresting character models, blocky looking buildings and trees. You can't tell me its all "its our cartoonish art style" because if you want to go there just look at how good Team Fortress 2 looks with "cartoonish art style". Vanity / Art is just as important as other factors in MMOs, you have to have the whole package to keep people interested especially long-term and for me its going on 3 years.

How are you guys going to compete in the eye candy department with all the titles coming out at the end of this year and the beginning of next year?
#28 - Sept. 24, 2007, 5:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
WoW looks the way it does because we chose a specific art style, but we also developed the game with specific hardware requirements in mind. We've purposefully designed the game to appeal and run well on an extremely wide range of machines.

While it's possible that at some point in the future there may be a graphics pass updating texture resolutions and polygon counts, I think that you'll see with Wrath of the Lich King as you did with Burning Crusade, is that we're continuing to improve our technique and art style while still remaining within those same system hardware requirements.

There's still juice left to squeeze with the current engine and self-imposed constraints.