So when is blizzard going to fix everything

#1 - Feb. 17, 2011, 5:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
it seems like everyone is complaining about just about every class in the game and dungeons being to hard etc etc and blizz swears up and down they are sorry and that they aren't ignoring us but if that is true why is everything so crappy, all i see is bored people and irritated people
it makes me curious how many subscribers they have lost recently myself included, so i guess my main point is if they aren't ignoring us then why does it seem like that is exactly what they are doing?
#2 - Feb. 17, 2011, 5:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
They are fixing problems that they believe need to be fixed.

Believe it or not, we are PLAYERS, not CREATORS, and therefore have zero say in what happens in this game. Imo, we are lucky they pay as much attention to these forums as they do. Most game developers and moderators just ignore complaints and tailor the game to THEIR liking.

I don't know why everyone seems to equate this game to some form of government, but really, it's just a game. If people don't like it, then they're supposed to move on to another game. Not petition for a new bill of rights.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#50 - Feb. 17, 2011, 8:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 9:21 AMPosted by Mythclaw
it seems like everyone is complaining about just about every class

Does equal amount of complaints about every class mean everything is balanced? Makes ya think.

02/17/2011 9:21 AMPosted by Mythclaw
if they aren't ignoring us then why does it seem like that is exactly what they are doing?

To some there's a disconnect between what they want, and what we agree is best for the game, or what we're able to deliver at the current time (depending on what we're talking about). We're managing a live game that (ideally) appeals to the millions of people playing who have widely varied interests. You might want a specific class nerfed, a change reverted, some feature added, etc. and we take that feedback, get some info, and hopefully have some kind of response. Most of the time though that response is going to be that we have no current plans to do so, or that we don't agree with the feedback, but hopefully we provide enough info to at least make our case known.

In addition, there seems to be an expectation that we're going to continue discussing topics we've already made statements on. That we're ignoring the issue because we're not continuing to discuss certain topics beyond our initial response on it. While I agree an open dialog is nice when it can occur, it's generally best for us to relate our thoughts on specific topics, and then watch the feedback that we receive after. Continuing to kick the hornet's nest, as it were, is rarely productive.

If there are specific questions we haven't gotten to yet, then that's our bad. In some cases we may avoid some topics specifically, or maybe don't feel that it merits a response. In others we maybe just don't have an answer yet. We are in the process of developing some new forms of direct developer communication, though, tied to forum interaction. We're hoping it helps out in some of these areas.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#53 - Feb. 17, 2011, 8:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 12:10 PMPosted by Heartfire
Maybe some kind of "known issues" list could help?

Our QA department does actually keep a running list in the bug report forum - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2046835719

And Lylirra keeps an updated sticky of blogs and forum posts which should hopefully cover the running tally of statements we do make on issues - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2016084212
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#71 - Feb. 17, 2011, 8:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 12:32 PMPosted by Andrion
hey hi Drysc while you are at it, can you give us a word about the charge/intercept nerf ??, no word has been said about that

We'll work on something to post, yeah. Sorry about that.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#72 - Feb. 17, 2011, 8:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 12:35 PMPosted by Aloeverra
Nope, while not broken as the OP mentioned, it just means you've messed up across the board.

But if everyone is equally 'messed up' isn't that balance? ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#106 - Feb. 17, 2011, 9:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 12:50 PMPosted by Draanidall
Because this game should be about what YOU want amirite? I am sorry but like many others I will not be buying another card, when my time runs out, I am done.

No it's about balancing the game for millions of players and not making changes based purely on what some vocal members of the community ask for. This game has always been designed and created by Blizzard. We appreciate your feedback, we take it all in, but not getting your way does not mean we don't care about what you have to say. Game design is not a service industry.

To see what you wrote is just another reason why I will not continue, what you view as "whats best for the game" is only the things you like. Appealing to the CUSTOMER and CUSTOMER service is somthing you have lost your way in, like most companies that grow bigger than their britches.

I think that's a rather narrow view of the changes we make and what feeds into us making those changes. Player feedback is a big part of it, but it's not the only part, and to break it down to "you're not doing what I want so you're not listening to the players" is just not true.

first you make things easier by giving what used to be higher level spells to lower levels.

That was done to help introduce main class abilities along the leveling process instead of dumping them on them all at the end game, and give new players more time to use and get used to them. It wasn't to make things easier. Although I guess in a way it does, but not the way that I think you mean it does.

You made some mobs like the defias across from nothshire non agressive, you went out of your way to dumb it down and give more damage to lower levels, and then you turn around and say....meh lets make it harder and completly change the way the game is played. Why would you even think that changing what was a great formula around that it would be better?

I'm going to assume (hope) that this is not all about some quest mob changes. We made many questing improvements with Cataclysm, including new mechanics, fun interactive stories, a ton of quests that are more than simple collection quests, a better tutorial, and better moderated flow to help make the process of leveling not only more inviting to new players, but more exciting for old timers like me.

That is absolutely changing the old formula of what an MMO was five years ago, or what people expected of games when World of Warcraft was released, and we're extremely proud of the fact that we're continuously updating the game to keep it fresh.

I am sorry, but you all are NOT listening, you are letting it go in one ear and out the other, because you know what is best for us.

Again, I am sorry you feel that way. It's not true, we do listen, but it seems that in the cases you're describing, listening equals making the changes you want, even if we have good reason not to.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#109 - Feb. 17, 2011, 9:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 1:10 PMPosted by Madcapmcgee
So no. Equal amounts of complaints from each class, even supposing it were true (which it is not), is not a basis upon which to judge if balance has been achieved.

Well, duh. No one is measuring noise from each class, saying they're about equal, and calling it a day. How would that even work?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#110 - Feb. 17, 2011, 9:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 1:13 PMPosted by Thunderherd
No it's about balancing the game for millions of players and not making changes based purely on what some vocal members of the community ask for. This game has always been designed and created by Blizzard. We appreciate your feedback, we take it all in, but not getting your way does not mean we don't care about what you have to say. Game design is not a service industry.

I stopped reading right here.

Ok. Thanks for letting us know.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#260 - Feb. 17, 2011, 11:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 2:47 PMPosted by Scynless
Game design is not a service industry.

I believe that this was a shortsighted comment, you are correct though, you are in the entertainment industry.

However you also provide a service in Realms and online gaming, so while you are not in the service side of your industry Blizzard IS in fact also providing a service.
Comments like this only force to further drive a wedge between yourself and your players.

Let me clarify what I meant because many people have taken this is in a lot of different directions.

I specifically said game design, and in that I specifically meant design decisions on game systems, class balance, etc.

I've seen this analogy before so I'm going to reuse it. Unfortunately the person that posted it originally had the analogy wrong. You walk into a hamburger joint, and say I want a hamburger, but no cheese, extra pickles, and no sesame seeds on the bun. Now in some people's estimation of the situation, we should provide them everything they ask for. But as I said that's an incorrect analogy. Instead what we have is a 23 story tall hamburger about as big as a football field, and it has to feed millions of people. What you want on your hamburger the person next to you does not, we may have specific toppings we're willing to serve, or maybe even able to serve at the current time. And above that we do have some license to direct how we wish our hamburger to taste, we use all beef patties, and we're not going to sacrifice what makes our hamburgers tasty and popular by doing a 20/80 beef and pork mix because someone asked for it. There's some ability for the creators to say thanks for the feedback, but it's not how we want the product to be. At least for the current time.

Anyway, analogies are lame but hopefully that gets some of what I meant across. Class balance is not a service. You don't hit the front of the line and get what you want. I believe that's clear to most everyone, but it seems to still exist in how some of these posts come across. At least to me.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#278 - Feb. 17, 2011, 11:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/17/2011 3:12 PMPosted by TriƄge
Bash, I think Scattered was actually backing you up with that analogy of his, it didn't seem like a shot at Blizzard or the design team imo, more or less a shot at the community for continuously crying about anything and everything. I swear to god Blizzard Forums beats US Politics for its diversity and disagreements.

Eek! Sorry Scattered. I wasn't referring to your post at all. (I didn't even see it...) It was referring to a thread I saw a few weeks back.