Any News on Prot TANKING in 2.3?

#0 - Sept. 26, 2007, 10:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
***TLDR/EDIT can be found at the bottom.*** Original Post:

Dear Blizzard,

I'm the MT of my SSC/TK guild (working on Vashj p2). I've got nearly the best gear I can have to this point (missing Al'ar Cape, Morogrim Ring, Karathress neck). I'm sure this issue has been brought up earlier - why does warrior threat not scale as well as magic/melee dps?

Before I'm told my guild is retarded, I'd like you all to know that I've taught them all about threat, read up extensively on the mechanics. I get it. I know how to tank, and am pulling 650-900 TPS sustained (with spikes due to trinketed/shield blocked Shield slam crits). Note: this is tanking at my best, pushing everything at the right time in the right rotations (revenge everytime it is up, always hitting shield block pre-shield slam, heroic strikes (rage permitting, or when I've got a boss that hits me for 4k+, everytime it is up), and devastating post sunders). This is me having two hunters feeding threat to me on a rotation whenever it is up. This is me with 1600-2.3k shield slam crits. This is me in non-avoidance gear with high block value and armor for the rage and threat. Working my ass off in the raid situation.. I can say I am pulling 650-900 TPS.. sustained. Seriously?

When does tanking get an upgrade? When do I stop seeing:

Sunder Armor (Missed)
Shield Slam (Missed)
Revenge (Parried)
Heroic Strike (Dodged)

Why do I have to put 2 +8 hit gems in my gear? When will half of our talents not be total useless crap? Imp Rend? Seriously? Devastate is barely worth half a @#*# (and that's when it crits).

When do main tanks get to tank, well, with gear that scales their threat as fast as dps is scaling theirs?

I see everyone getting buffs. Warriors are fine in PvP. Warriors are workable in PvE (with the best gear). Not broken, but not good, and far from great.

So you've heard a few of my concerns, and I hope the warrior community will join me in saying that it would definitely make raiding more eventful (and progressive) if warriors received some tanking upgrades.

Not a QQ Post, I still think warriors are the most engaging class in WoW. Looking for some positive feedback. Tanking is not hard, at all. What is hard is doing everything right, and still finding that you're not high enough, cause 20%+ of your tanking time is generating 0 threat.

**** EDITED ADDITIONS BELOW***

Combining sunder on devastate makes tanking less boring, saves me little rage, but does next to nothing for my threat.

Warlocks get +15% stamina as a first tier talent on their demonology tree. We get 5% from our second to last tier of our protection tree. I know the trade off is spirit (woop-de-doo?). I'll trade 5% of my strength for 10% more stamina. Deal?

How about improving defiance for us, instead of buffing enhancement shamans. I'm pretty sure that fixes... fury warriors... enhance shamans... warlock threat... marksman hunters... shadow priests. Do my fingers have to hurt every night in the raid for my raid to DPS?

*** TLDR ***

Venti: Threat scaling needs to improve for prot warriors as compared to DPS scaling. Furthermore, something has to be done to improve the melee and spell hit rate (Demo Shout, TC, Taunt, Challenging Shout, Intimidating Shout) for warriors.

Bornakk: No. Not yet, at least.
#5 - Sept. 26, 2007, 11:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Keep in mind that all classes don't scale the same after every boss. In my experience it can kind of go in circles with the strength of gear depending on what is available. Right now we have no plans to make further changes to the Protection Warrior beyond Devastate in patch 2.3.