Do Normal flying mounts have to be so gimp?

#0 - Oct. 11, 2007, 6:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I mean really. I paid 1000g for normal mount speed? This is ridiculous. Remember when we only had normal ground mounts? You paid 100g for your normal mount, and 1000g for an epic. So the epic mount cost 10x the amount of the normal mount, and you only got an extra 40% speed. Now, you pay 5000g for an epic flier, which is only 5x the amount of the normal flier, and you get almost 5x the speed as the normal mount? Isn't that gap a bit large?

I don't want the normal mount to be uber. But can it at least FLY at 100% speed? And just so normal mounts aren't useless in Outlands, make them run at 60%? Would this shake the cosmos so much that Blizzard can't even consider it? Epic fliers would STILL be 3x as fast as me, so epic flier owners egos will still be intact. This change would simply make normal flying mounts a little more enjoyable. Can I at least get a reason from a Blue as to why normal flying mounts can't fly at 100% speed?
#81 - Oct. 11, 2007, 7:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Yeah, the normal flying mount is pretty slow, and we have no plans to change it.

It affords you flight, which I think you're wholly underestimating, even without any of the content that's been designed around it. If you have even one gathering profession you should know what flying affords you. If you've ever traveled through the world... you should know what it affords you.

I think it's immediately taken for granted as it's expected, "yeah everyone can fly, so what, I want to go faster!".

It's going to be interesting to see Wrath come along, make everyone go back to ground mounts for a while, and see how badly everyone wishes they could fly again, even if it's just on a non-epic flyer.

In closing, any issues with speed disparity between the two mounts would likely only result in the epic flyer speed being reduced to shorten the gap, not the other way around.