Is world pvp completely dead?

#0 - Oct. 15, 2007, 2:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Does anyone actually still world pvp? It was and still is one of my favorite aspects of the game, yet, no one seems to do it anymore?

I think we need to get more events like the ones we had before BC came out

Help improve world PVP, /sign this
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=2366571658&postId=23663696883&sid=1#0

EDIT: Blizzard deleted the above topic...
#11 - Oct. 15, 2007, 5:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Does anyone actually still world pvp? It was and still is one of my favorite aspects of the game, yet, no one seems to do it anymore?

I think we need to get more events like the ones we had before BC came out

Just did some not that long ago. It was a blast. You just need to get your guild or friends together, pick a place and go do it. If you PvP, they will come.
#22 - Oct. 15, 2007, 5:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I understand, but, give people motive to do it as well, maybe give loot that leaders can drop?

Sorry, but we don't want leaders farmed for loot. Incentive isn't going to be in the form of an in game reward, but in the feeling of accomplishment for pushing through the enemy, staying alive, working together as a team, and taking down a significant leader.

If you're looking for PvP incentives, those are wired into Arenas, Battlegrounds, and sieging will be available in Wrath of the Lich King in the nice large PvP that will be waiting in Northrend.
#126 - Oct. 15, 2007, 6:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If Nethaera's comments in this thread are any indication, then Blizzard's community managers and, by extent its developers are truly out of touch with what PvP gamers desire. I for one most certainly do not wish to see just another closed, instanced-off Battleground which evokes more of a minigame than actual warfare. Capturing each other's flags, seriously? Nothing else? If anything, the act of taking the enemy's flag could be stylistically improved; if it's so embarassing to a faction to have its flag stolen, then show us actually doing something with it---burn it, rip it to shreds, do something visually so that stylistically at least the game evokes more of a 'war' feel.

As for 'world PvP', as others have written, there is simply absolutely little to no incentive. Blizzard prefers, as one can easily ascertain from Nethaera's posts on this thread, PvP to be 'sanctioned off' in Battleground minigames and the Arenas. Keep in mind that we have only a few different-looking Arenas for flavour (and honestly, five-on-five fighting is not what I would call massive warfare, especially not in a structured setting), and we also have a tiny few Battlegrounds from which to choose. Except for the really rather lame 'World PvP spots' in Outland and the Eastern and Western Plaguelands---which few to no one actually does with any degree of seriousness, because the rewards simply are not there for the time invested---there is not much else in the game. World of Warcraft is in essence a PvE-based game through and through.

I am eagerly awaiting a certain upcoming game with a greater focus on PvP---with actual rewards, instanced fighting which actually has stylistic and practical meaning, and so on. That sort of game may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's certainly not Blizzard's. I simply feel that, as a gamer who absolutely loves PvP combat, my desires are being outright ignored by Blizzard, who instead of recognising the concerns make pithy responses about how they did a bit of world PvP some time ago.

I thought I'd take a moment to correct you on an assumption you are making that the PvP area in Northrend is being instanced. the Lake Wintergrasp zone will be entirely PvP even on PvE realms, it will not be instanced and it will have sieging. More I couldn't tell you as of yet, but we definitely want to make it a great place to go and get into some cool PvP action.

I'm sure as we get further into development we'll have more to share. There is one thing that I do know as someone that has PvPed for many years, and that is, not every PvPer is alike or wants the same things. There is no "one" voice of PvP no matter how you try to wrap it up. I'm more of the "for the sake of PvP" type, while there are others that are looking for a reward for it. To say there is a misunderstanding about what "true" PvPers want is to overstate that your own opinion entails the entirety of what PvPers want.
#263 - Oct. 16, 2007, 12:03 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Moreover, no, I certainly do not speak for everyone---again, unlike how you seem to have inferred somehow from my original post, I speak only for myself as a passionate player of the game---but is it not quite interesting how much support I have received on the pages following your response to mine? It seems that, at least to some degree, others here more closely agree with my views than with yours (and by extension, the developers').

Rather than ignoring us and giving trite responses, please listen to what we are saying---and please do act on it with credibility and verve. Also, if you do reply to this second post of mine, please do have the courtesy to not twist my words and infer different meanings as you did to some small degree in your first response to me.

The forums can be a fickle place and support one day can be quickly gone the next. :) Trust me on this one. You made a statement of "this is what PvPers want" and I countered that it wasn't all PvPers. You did not state that it was what you wanted as an individual. I fully respect that what you posted was your viewpoint. Please understand that my own individual experience is a bit different than yours and has many years to go with it. It wasn't a trite response. It was a statement that it can and does happen as I've experienced it myself in a very fun way that did not result in camping low level players like some seem to infer.

Lake Wintergrasp is yet to have more details revealed on what players can expect. It's much too early to declare what it won't be when we haven't even said completely what it is.

Please keep in mind, I do listen as do we all. Disagreeing is not the same as not listening.