What is the purpose of Discipline?

#0 - Oct. 15, 2007, 7:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Priests seem to be a healing/dps hybrid. Holy heals, shadow does damage, is what is disc? I ask because I'm a tanking/healing hybrid, but then I have that third three on the right that seems to be for dps. Player perceptions of it are mixed, as does Blizzard's vision for it. So I thought I'd look at another tree that seems out of place.

What do you see as the purpose and strength of disc? I've heard it described as utility, but I've heard many things and learned that what I hear is often wrong.

Is 41 disc useful for something, PvP or PvE? I know that the 21 point talent seems almost mandatory for raiding and meditation is pretty much a must-have for any spec. But past that, what is the point?

Please try to read this as the post of a neutral newb. I'm trying to reduce my ignorance and get some ideas in the process. If disc is actually not out of place, I apologize for any offense.
#24 - Oct. 15, 2007, 11:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Though some priests have found a use for the discipline tree, right now, it doesn't quite have a solid purpose/goal, but rather seems to act as a supporting tree. This is something we plan on addressing with Wrath of the Lich King. Originally, the goal of the tree was primarily intended to provide staying power, vs. the holy tree which provides throughput.

Also, so you're aware, the 41-point discipline talent, pain suppression, is being changed to be usable on others for patch 2.3.