Death Knights and Professions

#0 - Oct. 23, 2007, 6:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I know this is pretty far away, but I've been wondering something about Death Knights. If they're going to start at level 50, or even at level 60, what level are their professions going to start at? 0? Because honestly, what's the point of a Hero Class starting at such a high level if I'm still going to have to run around Tirisfal farming copper ore or gathering Peacebloom? I'd almost rather start at level 1 and do it the right away--at least then I can build up my professions while doing something else constructive at the same time.
#1 - Oct. 23, 2007, 6:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I know this is pretty far away, but I've been wondering something about Death Knights. If they're going to start at level 50, or even at level 60, what level are their professions going to start at? 0? Because honestly, what's the point of a Hero Class starting at such a high level if I'm still going to have to run around Tirisfal farming copper ore or gathering Peacebloom? I'd almost rather start at level 1 and do it the right away--at least then I can build up my professions while doing something else constructive at the same time.

Unknown. We're not ready to discuss what we might do with learning professions with a Death Knight. When we get to that point though, you can bet the forums will be alight with constructive, intelligent and well-thought out discussion. ;)
#16 - Oct. 23, 2007, 7:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

The forums? As in these forums?

*shakes head in disbelief*

Oh ye of little faith! ;p
#17 - Oct. 23, 2007, 7:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
My Death Knight will have two professions.

Killing and Maiming.

I'll be stuck at 360 Maiming for a while though because I've been having trouble finding humanoid femurs to snap in half while screaming at the moon.
#31 - Oct. 23, 2007, 7:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

See, you need to increase the drop rate on humanoid femurs then. I have a whole bankful of ulnas that are going totally unused! And don't even get me started on looking for an epic pelvis....

Edit: Decrease Howl At Moon cooldown to 24 hours! There's a moon every night, isn't there?!

We're looking into the femur drop rates but at current we don't see a need for a major adjustment. As far as the ulnas go we're continually looking for ways to tighten up the economy, and make use of ingredients that just may not have any worthwhile recipes associated with them.

The Howl at Moon cooldown is set very specifically for the amount of time we intend the profession to advance. Without that mechanism people would be snapping femurs and slicing tendons all day and advancing the profession through the last increments too easily. Now obviously not everyone has a stockpile of femurs or tendons, but we do have to design with the larger picture in mind.
#41 - Oct. 23, 2007, 7:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

The profession of a Death Knight is death and you should focus all of your attention on that. the silliness of mining, herbing, and crafting are for lower level life forms (known as alts).

I found much humor in imagining a heavily clad Death Knight reaching down a gauntleted hand to delicately pluck a peacebloom. ;)