Weapon skill not automatically leveled...?

#0 - Nov. 4, 2007, 10:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
People have asked about this for years now. Why do melee have to suffer leveling up their weapon skills every single level, why casters automagically know how to do everything better? This is ridiculous. It literally takes hours to max out your weapon skill if you have not been leveling every weapon skill every single level up. The rate of weapon skill increase really needs to be retuned, especially for 2-Handed Weapons ... why it takes over 5 minutes per skill point, is beyond me.
#18 - Nov. 26, 2007, 11:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Unfortunately not all classes work the exact same, sorry for the inconvenience.
#57 - Nov. 27, 2007, 12:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
You can't address any of the merits of the argument--for example, that it is an unnecessary timesink?

I think it adds to the development of a character as you are using a new weapon type for the first time so you are also learning how to use it. While people may not like putting their time into anything but levels and loot, it doesn't seem like a big problem to spend time establishing some of the basics too.
#94 - Nov. 27, 2007, 12:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

The same could be said about spellcasting. Actually, not sure if you participated, alpha testing for wow worked that way. Since mage was one of the first classes to be tested it was known that fire and frost spell skill had to be levelled. Of course, back then you allocated stat and skill points each level.

One last point is that back in alpha there were training dummies where you could level up your respective weapon skill.

Some things have definitely changed since the alpha version. The diversity now seems like a better setup and while the idea of using training dummies is interesting, it seems more monotonous than anything else.

Q u o t e:
Basically, it boils down to that it takes too long to level weapon skills. It's near impossible for classes such as warriors and hunters to get to where they need to be in multiple weapon skills.

I don’t think it takes an overly long time to level up multiple weapon skills if you are actually focusing on doing it. I don't hear players passing on new weapons based on their current weapon skill or anything like that.
#114 - Nov. 27, 2007, 1:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
LEVELLING WEAPON SKILL IS ALREADY MONOTONOUS, BORNAKK.

It may slow down a character for a little while, but I’m usually able to continue completing quests or whatever else I am trying to do without much of a problem while leveling a weapon. You can also grab a random weapon and level it ahead of time if you think you’ll use one in the future.
#120 - Nov. 27, 2007, 1:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
At this time, Bornakk, the issue is not from the fact that it may or may not take forever (it is my opinion that it does), but more a fact that this is a BLATANT DOUBLE STANDARD on blizzards part, much like the obvious and schizophrenic nature of how melee and physical damage works especially related to resistances/mitigation.

I think this is why people are complaining.

EDIT: Oh, yes, and the obvious time sink that casters really don't have to trudge through to get the same level of results.

As I said earlier, not everything in the game works the exact same way. Melee classes can have their advantages and disadvantages compared to casters and vice versa. Changes in the future regarding weapon skill are always possible but we have no plans to do so at this time.