MMOs are not about fun!

#0 - Dec. 13, 2007, 7:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thats right. Quit saying the honor grinding, rep grinding, money grinding, gear grinding, instance grinding, and loyalty level 6 grinding are not fun. They aren't supposed to be. This whole genre was founded not on fun for the individual. But instead, they made a world that you can never ever truly beat.

It's a constant bait and switch. You play to make your mark on a static world by wearing purples that will never hit the peak of what the future dungeons and raids will bring. It's a interactive chat room with a never-ending game attached.

So please stop insisting that they make this game fun for you as that is a futile endeavor.
#26 - Dec. 13, 2007, 7:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Apparently, the fun I've had playing MMOs has all just been my imagination. Either that or I've been doing it wrong. *sigh*

Abandon all fun ye who enter here!

Fun is where you find it and involves you taking part in the aspects of the game that you find fun. If you're not having fun, then it's important to take a mental inventory of just why you aren't. If there is a way you can recapture the fun within the game, then do it. If you're just unable, then perhaps taking a break can give you a better perspective on what it is you are seeking.
#43 - Dec. 13, 2007, 8:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I got to ask and i am not sure if this has been before

By any chance neth do you play on a Role Playing server ?

I play on PvP, RP-PvP, and PvE. ;)
#60 - Dec. 13, 2007, 8:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

No, the common bond is that we're in the same guild. Some of us happen to play WoW, some people are playing Vanguard, some are playing EQ2. Others have taken breaks from the MMO scene but play console and PC games online with us. I find it interesting that you think the game defines your relationship with the people you play with.

I'll reiterate: The game isn't fun. My friends, however, create fun within it.

Go ahead. Play this game by yourself with your guild chat turned off and whispers disabled. Will you be having fun? I doubt it.

For me, the game is the basis for fun and then friends and guildmates make it even more fun. They are a part of the enhancement of fun. Of course, inherently, that is a part of the design of an MMO, to involve others and integrate them as an element of the game itself. Otherwise, it would be a single player game and we wouldn't be having this discussion.