Horde bias

#1 - Feb. 4, 2011, 2:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Please refrain from answering with "qq moar" or some variant until you have read the actual post.

The problem with the Horde is the problem with every underdog character who has biased or sympathetic writers. They cease being the underdog in all but name, and come out victorious every time. It's like, say, Batman in the DC universe. Originally, Batman was a man apart, the one hero without powers who made up with mind, body, and science for his lack of super powers. This is what made the character interesting and likable to many, in fact.

Now, look at the modern day universe DC, and ask yourself, just how much of an underdog is Batman, any more? Every time he goes up against anyone or anything, he wins. If you were to ask your average comic book fan who would win in a fight with Batman, you would probably be given a blank stare, since that simply doesn't happen. This is the same evolution you are now seeing with the Horde.

The writers of the game like the Horde, they cheer for the Horde, they think the Horde is cool, and they want them to win. So, since they are the writers, after all, the underdog starts winning. And winning big. Batman takes out Superman. Batman is a legitimate threat to the entire Justice League. And the best part of this, to me, is that they still attempt to claim that the character or, in this case, faction being represented is the underdog. How is a character or faction that never loses, an underdog?

Another facet of this is "personal conflict". The writers are so enamored with their beloved Batman/Horde, that they cannot have them legitimately lose to another character outside that of the underdogs sphere. So, they create inner conflict of some kind, which is why the Horde is having its arguments and shaded threats, and why Batman has a psychological crisis every few story arcs. This gives the illusion that they are still struggling, they still have problems, and attempts to distract you from the fact that when it comes down an actual conflict with outside forces, they never lose.

To all the people claiming this is not happening, let me simply ask this. When was the last time the Alliance faced the Horde (not an offshoot, not a rebellious sect, the ACTUAL Horde) and won? Won, as in they gained while the Horde lost. It hasn't happened, and it probably won't happen, as long as the current writers are dictating the story.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#69 - Feb. 4, 2011, 4:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Well, I mean, there's obviously the whole thing with Varimathras and Putress starting back in BC times using the horde as a means to exact some (apparently) Burning Legion style justice on everyone. Then you come to the current with Sylvanas, one of the most prominent Horde faction leaders, and Thrall is all like 'throw her on the ground', so she defies every order and is pretty much outright treasonous in everything she does, creating a pretty serious issue. Meanwhile Thrall is chasing tail in Nagrand, shopping for whirlpool baths, and while he's gone he sets up a cold blooded murderer on his throne to check his mail...

Granted, these are not predefined questing areas that were decided who would be where for quest flow. I think it's a whole lot more, and it means more to the Horde and Alliance, in some potentially serious ways.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#95 - Feb. 4, 2011, 5:01 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Well, I mean, there's obviously the whole thing with Varimathras and Putress starting back in BC times using the horde as a means to exact some (apparently) Burning Legion style justice on everyone. Then you come to the current with Sylvanas, one of the most prominent Horde faction leaders, and Thrall is all like 'throw her on the ground', so she defies every order and is pretty much outright treasonous in everything she does, creating a pretty serious issue. Meanwhile Thrall is chasing tail in Nagrand, shopping for whirlpool baths, and while he's gone he sets up a cold blooded murderer on his throne to check his mail...

Granted, these are not predefined questing areas that were decided who would be where for quest flow. I think it's a whole lot more, and it means more to the Horde and Alliance, in some potentially serious ways.

Umm, not trolling you, but I think you are kinda proving his point. You see, he said that for the Horde, the threat they face are inner conflicts, unlike the Alliance who are suffering a lot at the hands of the Horde. The point is that you know, showing a couple of advances in lore for both factions would help (Like showing what will happen to the Horde after that conflict, which is mostly fixed in TH, or maybe giving Arathi an actual conclusion, where Humans use Stromgarde to quest atleast?)

Yeah, I was kind of hoping I was leaving the lines open enough to read between. Well, anyway, we'll all find out where this is going together. TOGETHER!