Power Infusion

#0 - Dec. 21, 2007, 6:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So I've been searching forums for the last hour or so reading up on what all the lynch mob had to say on the subject of PI and how gimped it is for 6 talent, how its another tinket, yadda yadda yadd.

With that said, I would like to ask about some of the successful uses to the spell.

The reason I ask is that I went heavy disc for arena a while back in my 5v5 team. I found that with my resilience falling short, and the frequency of getting FF'd I needed a source of survivability. And for the first spec I tried was HEAVY disc, I think it was somewhere in the 54 points range including Reflective shield (which I always wanted to play with and the other staples of the spec for arena).

I'm in a fairly steady raiding guild, and I’m a regular invite when it comes to raid line ups so you can imagine my anxiety over going to raid still speced Disc with the justification being that if it comes down to not being able to get past any content because of lack of heals I’ll bite the bullet and respec (which I relayed to the raid leaders so it wasnt a total surprise)

So fast forward to some boss pulls and I decide to test the repuation of PI as the lock killer, so I set up comm with one of our locks so that he renew all his dots within PI and his Silver Crescent Trinket in order to optimize his dps rotation. He loved it apparently and asks if i have it every time i raid from that point. I dont have any numbers for what the results where and I'm not versed well enough in Lock to be able to even speculate so if anyone is a number cruncher and would like to, feel free.

Has anyone else had success with PI in either a PVP/Arena setting or a PVE for that matter? I know for a fact that my mage buddies in arena like it to fill in the gap between arcane power (i think thats what its called) And can anyone tell me if PI is a viable option in the 2v2/3v3 arenas with a caster parnter(s) where I hear that burst dmg is Oh So Important?

Thanks in Advance!
#4 - Dec. 21, 2007, 6:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've used it on others when I wanted to help them get that burst of DPS going to finish off a boss or (as others have mentioned) in PvP. I've also used it on myself when I've needed an extra bit of oomph as well.

I'm pretty heavy disc right now, and I still enjoy this spec and raid successfully as well as PvP.

PI with a Pain Suppression chaser can be a pretty fun combination.
#9 - Dec. 21, 2007, 7:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

PI will boost PS? I figured that talent wouldn't be affected that way in fear of being overpowered.

No. I''m referring to if you (say) put PI on a Warlock so they do more damage, they are going to generate more threat and most likely something nasty could start breathing down their neck (or if in a PvP situation, someone realizes where all the damage is coming from), you toss the Pain Suppression and that will not only reduce how much damage they are going to take so you can heal them through it, but it will reduce their threat a small bit so that hopefully (at least in a pve group situation) someone else can take the aggro again.
#10 - Dec. 21, 2007, 7:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Neth, could you please comment on the Pain Suppression issue, where it also provides dispel resist to hostile magic debuffs? Please <3

I actually remember hearing about this elsewhere and haven't followed up on it yet. I'll make sure to note it down and see what I can find.
#13 - Dec. 21, 2007, 7:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I usually PI myself to burn someone down in 2s during a fear + blind. It's almost the only way to kill someone fast enough when they have a druid healer :(

I've also used PI when needing to kill an Inner Demon in SSC before. It came in handy... at least for the first one. I got unlucky and got a second one not long after. ouch
#23 - Dec. 21, 2007, 7:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
In my opinion, Disc is not worth gimping yourself for in raids. You lose a lot of healing talents for a mildly useful PS/PI.
PI is much more useful if you arena with another damage caster (Especially in a burst team) just for that extra bit of damage that can help kill someone quick. I normally use it once in arena and by the time it's up again, most of us are low on mana.
PS is pretty much required for arena just to halt a focus fire attack or give extra resist on Iceblock/Divine Shield.

Here is my thought on this. I enjoy Disc because I am still able to use it successfully in Raids and also PvP and have a better survivability. Is it "the" perfect spec for Raiding? Perhaps not, but it fits how I like to play.

I know we've mentioned that we want to take a good look at the cohesiveness of the Discipline tree before and that we're looking toward giving it a more defined purpose. Some of the changes you've seen are an early part of that process.

You can also see we have a feedback thread at the top of the forum for people to contribute in. Please use it or at least continue to share your thoughts on how you play, why you play the way you do, and what you feel you could benefit more from. We want to keep working toward balance better balance for all classes and for the game as a whole. The health of the game as well as the fun factor of the game are always on our minds. We want it to be fun because we want our community to enjoy what we've worked so hard on as well as we want to continue to enjoy it ourselves. This game like all of our games are a work of love and dedication by gamers for other gamers. We'll keep going for the best possible outcome.
#40 - Dec. 21, 2007, 8:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Just curious, where to the bliz employees play? do they have a special server for only people who work there?

Normal realms, normal accounts, we're among you every day. ;)
#44 - Dec. 21, 2007, 8:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Pod People?

*sinister laugh*
#49 - Dec. 21, 2007, 9:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Neth, have you got any information on the direction the developers want for the discipline tree?

The most I can give is that we would like to give it better direction and make it a little more well-rounded, however, I can't conjecture on how we're going to define that for you just yet.
#55 - Dec. 21, 2007, 9:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Conjecture applies assumptions/inferences on your part, but Eyonix told us not so long ago:

And, in response to whether the tree will fix the fact that Priests need to invest into two separate trees to optimize healing:

So he seems to have seen some pretty inspiring prototypes, at least. Should we just take it that you weren't privy to the same preview?

I meant that I didn't want to conjecture on the specifics. :) Yes, Eyo and I are privy to the same information. I also don't want to put the cart before the horse so to speak. We have a direction we want to go in, it just now relies on implementing it in a way that works and balances within the what we have in game now and with future plans as well. We're always thinking forward as much as we can while keeping our eyes on what is now.
#61 - Dec. 21, 2007, 11:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I think a lot of Disc priests (myself included, although I happen to be posting on my brand-spankin'-70 druid) don't necessary expect you to divulge all the details about the tree, like talent changes et cetera.

I think we'd just like a one or two-word answer on what the tree will be used for. In the past, it's been a mixture of longevity, survivability, utility, and some hodge-podge stuff thrown in (Enlightenment?) for good measure.

Will it be focused on utility? Certainly, the presence of Power Infusion and Pain Suppression suggests that. It just so happens that this utility isn't heavily valued enough in raids to justify a raid slot in most min/max guilds, when a holy priest or a shadow priest could occupy that spot.

So, save the details until 2.4 or WotLK, but tell us this much: Will Disc priests of the future be healing, buffing, damaging, meleeing, or some combination of these?

Honestly Trellan, I can't give you more than what we've already said right now. We'll do what we can to get everyone more information about the goals and reasons for changes as much as we can, but it's going to occur over time and require the dreaded word "patience" from everyone.