WOTLK going to be VISTA only?! PLZ NO!

#0 - March 11, 2008, 4:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Friend of mine (who works at gamestop) was telling me that almost every game coming out now is requiring windows vista. I told him that it probably only recommends it. He countered by showing me the box for Shadowrun which clearly said REQUIRES WINDOWS VISTA.

I was kind of in shock. He went into a rant about how Microsoft likes to require that type of thing from game developers and how i shouldnt get to comfortable with WoW because the next expansion will probably force me to upgrade to Vista as well.

No...

No...

No...

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE WOTLK REQUIRE VISTA.

Im said to say this, but i will probably stop playing.
(and go to rehab or find a support group)
#22 - March 11, 2008, 4:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Friend of mine (who works at gamestop) was telling me that almost every game coming out now is requiring windows vista. I told him that it probably only recommends it. He countered by showing me the box for Shadowrun which clearly said REQUIRES WINDOWS VISTA.

I was kind of in shock. He went into a rant about how Microsoft likes to require that type of thing from game developers and how i shouldnt get to comfortable with WoW because the next expansion will probably force me to upgrade to Vista as well.

No...

No...

No...

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE WOTLK REQUIRE VISTA.

Im said to say this, but i will probably stop playing.
(and go to rehab or find a support group)

I'm not quite sure what to say about this. We haven't released any information about specific system requirements for the next expansion.

I think it's best to take what your friend has said with a grain of salt and wait until we are further along to talk about system requirements.

Keep in mind too that we have always tried to do our best to both advance the development of the game as well as balance the system requirements necessary so as to make the game as available to as many people as possible. We're not changing that philosophy. :)
#84 - March 11, 2008, 5:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I think Neth is saying some people may have to upgrade. As they cant keep making a game that runs on older machines. Also, she didnt say WotLK wouldnt require Vista. Its makes NO SENSE to keep making a game perform worse just to keep some players that dont have updated equipment. WoW has competition, and must be more. So when WotLK comes out, you can go play Runescape.

What I'm saying is that we are continuing to develop with as many users as possible in mind. I'm not going to call out any specifics since we haven't publicized any at this point in time. I couldn't tell you if any upgrades would be needed or not since it depends on your machine and what it can handle. The likelihood of us switching to any one particular platform after supporting what we do right now, would be very low. ;)
#235 - March 12, 2008, 10:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The Expansion is not going to require users to upgrade to Vista. We have some things in the works on the end of graphics, but it's not anything that is going to require this specific upgrade.