WotLK News Blackout: 210 Days so far!

#0 - May 2, 2008, 7:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Preface: Bored at work on a dreary Friday.

Reviewing all the news released through Blizzard on the main website, it has been exactly 205 days since any substantial news has been released, the last being on 10/9/2007 in the form of the 1up.com interview (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3163178).

Since then, we have received precisely, in reverse chronological order:

April 2008: No news.
March 2008: 2 Beastiary additions and 1 Environment addition.
February 2008: 1 Faction addition, 1 Environment addition, 1 Beastiary addition
January 2008: Beastiary launched, no further news.
December 2007: No news.
November 2007: 2 Screenshot additions, each containing 2 new screenshots. Utgarde Keep interview.
October 2007: 3 Screenshot additions, each containing 2 new screenshots. The aforementioned 1UP.com interview.

The 1up.com interview is really the Holy Grail of info to date. It has the most breadth and depth out of anything else. While it may technically be considered news, perhaps, screenshots and beastiary updates are really not what most players are looking for. In April '08, they did announce renewal of Chinese providers' contracts, which has nothing to do with the expansion's content or beta or release, just like the 10/30/2007 "news" about a WotLK Fan Site kit doesn't count either.

205 days without any news. Is WotLK vaporware? The original official announcement was released a whopping 272 days ago, on 8/3/2007. Since then, the pace of new information has actually been slowing instead of accelerating. Not a good sign.

Edit: 210

Edit2: At least the new Blizzard Store has been released! Now, we can buy all the same crap we already have, just from Blizzard instead of Best Buy! This is HUGE!
#2 - May 2, 2008, 7:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Preface: Bored at work on a dreary Friday.

Reviewing all the news released through Blizzard on the main website, it has been exactly 205 days since any substantial news has been released, the last being on 10/9/2007 in the form of the 1up.com interview (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3163178).

Since then, we have received precisely, in reverse chronological order:

April 2008: No news.
March 2008: 2 Beastiary additions and 1 Environment addition.
February 2008: 1 Faction addition, 1 Environment addition, 1 Beastiary addition
January 2008: Beastiary launched, no further news.
December 2007: No news.
November 2007: 2 Screenshot additions, each containing 2 new screenshots. Utgarde Keep interview.
October 2007: 3 Screenshot additions, each containing 2 new screenshots. The aforementioned 1UP.com interview.

The 1up.com interview is really the Holy Grail of info to date. It has the most breadth and depth out of anything else. While it may technically be considered news, perhaps, screenshots and beastiary updates are really not what most players are looking for. In April '08, they did announce renewal of Chinese providers' contracts, which has nothing to do with the expansion's content or beta or release, just like the 10/30/2007 "news" about a WotLK Fan Site kit doesn't count either.

205 days without any news. Is WotLK vaporware? The original official announcement was released a whopping 272 days ago, on 8/3/2007. Since then, the pace of new information has actually been slowing instead of accelerating. Not a good sign.

The great thing about vapor is that at some point it condenses and becomes rain. The rain then falls and nourishes that which it falls on. It takes time for it to happen, but it does happen. Signs point to clouds forming in the sky, but you never can tell when they will let loose the rain...
#11 - May 2, 2008, 7:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

You can also get alot of hot air that blows the clouds away. I wonder which we are getting here.

You could say there is never a limit to hot air around these parts, but it blows from many directions. ;)
#218 - May 5, 2008, 5:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Neth has officially lost my respect
She usually provides something witty or informative
This is the first instance that I've seen of her saying something completely and utterly useless

Oh come now. Everyone has their off days. ;) I've never claimed to be perfect.

I can assure people that Wrath of the Lich King is coming along very well. But despite those assurances, people will always be looking for the proof. We'll get that to you when we can, however, and you'll be able to decide for yourselves. I'd like to think that from my own experiences, many people will be pleased with the results.
#222 - May 5, 2008, 5:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Faith is for religions, parents of offspring, and melancholic Shamans.

We'll have none of that here, Neth.

Or perhaps at least a soupcon of hope then?

How about a little Ella Fitzgerald for the day?

Why do you grieve?
Try and believe
Life is always sunshine
When the heart beats true
Banish your fears
Smile through your tears
When you're sad
It makes me feel the same as you...
Come to me my melancholy baby
Cuddle up and don't be blue
All your fears are foolish fancy, maybe
You know, dear, that I'm in love with you;
Every cloud must have a silver lining
Wait until the sun shines through
Come on and smile, my honey dear,
While I kiss away each tear
Or else I shall be melancholy too...

#224 - May 5, 2008, 5:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Ella Fitzgerald is fine, so long as you don't go all Bobby McFarrin on us.

You wouldn't want a riot on your hands.

So no, "Don't worry, be happy?"

I did like his Paper Music album though. Quite beautifully done.
#244 - May 5, 2008, 6:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Do you think that enough news about the expansion has been conveyed to the playerbase to date?

Enough news? I don't think there is such thing as enough for the community until we've revealed everything we have up our sleeves. I doubt even that will be enough for people until they can experience it. I do believe there is a method to the madness on the release of information, however. I respect it and I look forward to the excitement that comes with it. It wouldn't do to release information before it's ready and we're ready both.

I think you also mistake my humor this morning for mocking. I would mock if I didn't care about the community, but that is far from true. I absolutely care about the community, but that's just my nature. I genuinely like people. I'm a bit crazy like that.

We've given everyone tastes of what is to come where we can. We've had updates on the Wrath site that give a bit more information on some of the areas people will find and the creatures in Northrend as well.

We'll have more to share and much like a large boulder, it's hard to get rolling sometimes, but all that will happen once it does, is it will pick up speed. I hope everyone is ready for it.
#251 - May 5, 2008, 6:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Two things here. One I've been wondering and asking for awhile now, with not a clue to the answer, the other a revelation for you:

1.) What exactly constitutes "information readiness"? You and the other CMs throw this around frequently (where the heck is Eyonix anyways?) and that leads me to believe there is some kind of company strategic imperative under this all. Any information you can shed light on as to how information is "readied" before release to the adoring fans?

2.) Neth, I think I speak for most everyone here when I say - the community is ready; nay, the community is salivating at the prospect of more information. We're waiting on you, I'm pretty sure you guys shouldn't be waiting on us :)

Information readiness depends on many internal factors of which I can't go into detail on, but much of it depends on whether we feel that what we have to share or show is at a point where we feel it's ready to be talked about or shown. We allow some wiggle room for things to change, but try to show things that are in a state of readiness and make sure it's known there is still room for change. We'd like to make sure that wiggle room isn't moshing room though. If you can grok the difference there.

We are Blizzard Entertainment, and we tend to do things that meet our own internal standards of readiness before we show it to other people or discuss it. Contrary to what people may believe, we don't like letting down our friends, family, or community as a whole by giving less than 150% of ourselves.

The Community may be ready, but we aren't quite there yet. Though, I don't think people should despair. We've come a long way now and we're full steam ahead.
#254 - May 5, 2008, 6:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So, Neth, can you answer this at least;

Is it all going to be released at once so the devs can watch the playerbase explode (Anger, joy, or anticipation for the expansion, take your pick), or is it going to trickle out a little at a time?

Edit: I just realized Neth said moshing room. That amused me greatly.

It will occur over time, but I couldn't quantify it for you.
#261 - May 5, 2008, 6:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I want to know how many hours of the work day the WotLK developers are playing Starcraft 2?

They don't have much in the way of wiggle room right now. We are making sure they at least eat and go home to sleep and see their families.
#266 - May 5, 2008, 6:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

What good is giving 150% for your friends, family, and the community if you kill yourselves in the process?

Don't worry. :) We take care of our own.
#276 - May 5, 2008, 7:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Okay, okay. I think I have a question that you might be able to answer, Neth.

How do you, personally, feel about the information that you have right now? Not asking you to release it, or for a timetable, just how you feel about it :3

I'm looking forward to seeing the reactions of the community when the information starts coming out. I think Wrath is shaping up to be a fantastic addition to World of Warcraft and has amazing work in it. But, some would say I'm a bit biased. I am a fan of the work my co-workers are doing and respect them greatly for it.
#320 - May 5, 2008, 8:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So what would you say is the average work-day at Blizzard like?

Also, do you know of any cheap apartments, just in case?

It depends on the department.

No, I don't know of any, but I'm sure there are some resources available for information on this and depends on how long of a drive you're willing to do.
#322 - May 5, 2008, 8:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So I should wait and see how the interview tomorrow goes then?

That would probably be a good idea. ;) Good luck!