More GM Events!!

#0 - July 14, 2008, 8 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This post says it all.

Since I have been with WoW for over 3 years, I cant say that I have ever seen any GM events in World of Warcraft. I can’t say that about Ever Quest, they use to have GM Events every few months.

In case people do not know what a GM event is:

GM Events have characters in them controlled by actual GMs / Guides. They are not the same as scripted wars, which are computer/server-controlled.

This type of fun is missed greatly from the game and is there any chance that the WoW GM’s can do more events in the future?
#29 - Aug. 8, 2008, 4:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
This post says it all.

Since I have been with WoW for over 3 years, I cant say that I have ever seen any GM events in World of Warcraft. I can’t say that about Ever Quest, they use to have GM Events every few months.

In case people do not know what a GM event is:

GM Events have characters in them controlled by actual GMs / Guides. They are not the same as scripted wars, which are computer/server-controlled.

This type of fun is missed greatly from the game and is there any chance that the WoW GM’s can do more events in the future?

Our events don't run along these lines due to the immense amount of people power it would take to do. We have a lot of realms to cover and maintaining the utmost quality of every event on every realm would be an enormous task.

We do run events, but these don't require GMs to be embodying characters on the ground level. Our events run more along the lines of our holiday events and things which also gives more people an opportunity to take part in them than a live event would.
#35 - Aug. 8, 2008, 4:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We do sometimes run events on the PTRs, yes that's true.
#46 - Oct. 2, 2008, 6:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This is old, but it's still largely relevant; I hope my responses therein answer some questions about the concept of live events and why it's not really feasible in World of Warcraft. :)

https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=43424931&sid=1&pageNo=4#69
#70 - Oct. 3, 2008, 1:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Having a very small team do events at random simply isn't a smart use of resources, and causes more problems than it helps. You can't have them give out any sort of item or other special widget without a good deal of trouble. Because of their small size, events wouldn't happen very often, which means people would mob events when they did happen, causing technical troubles and reducing the ability to actually enjoy the event as a player. And even with all this, they're an insignificant drop in the swimming pool in terms of impact.

Live events are interesting and work all right in a small environment, such as a situation where you have few instances of a world (servers) and therefore can impact a significant portion of the playerbase with a few good actors. Nothing is quite like the excellent immersive feel of a good actor responding to your actions in such an event. But the idea simply doesn't scale that well. Please understand that I am intimately familiar with how this sort of thing has been done in other games in the past, but what has been done then wouldn't really work here.