Why the change to cancelaura macros?

#1 - Jan. 14, 2011, 2:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As I understand it, cancelaura macros are going to be usable out of combat only, making them effectively useless in any kind of encounter be it pvp or pve. I know that many warriors use bladestorm to break roots and then intercept to their target, be it a sprinting rogue, a mage who has blinked or a druid. You get the picture. I'm sure other classes have cancelaura macros as well, but I won't comment on those since I'm not familiar. If this change is true, it needs to be discussed. From my point of view, it seems to me by blizzard to lower the skill level which in my opinion is not good for the game. Thoughts?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - Jan. 14, 2011, 9:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The patch note specifically refers to addons. A while back, we blocked addons from automatically (meaning without players pushing a button) removing auras. Our logic was that canceling auras should be a player decision and require player action. To be honest, we don’t want canceling auras to be a huge part of the game period, but it has some niche uses mostly among high-end players and we are okay with that.

In any case, what the patch note refers to is that addons can now cancel auras automatically outside of combat. Outside of combat, players are just using it for convenience and not for any kind of combat benefit. In this sense it is a buff not a nerf, but either way players can still use /cancelaura for their own personal macros – they just have to hit the button.

I'm probably just going to remove the Addon section from the patch notes. Those notes really only make sense to addon authors, and we have a direct line of communication with most of them where we can share any changes from 4.0.6 which may affect how they create/update mods.