Tutorial on clicking a lightwell

#1 - Jan. 14, 2011, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I guess I'm just venting but seriously dps, please click the lightwell. It's not that hard! It's one of a holy priest's main mechanics. Maybe Blizz can make a turorial somewhere on how to click the damn thing.

So my group wiped on Altairus in VP. Now I admit, I don't like the fight and determining wind direction with my comp on low settings can be a pain so I mainly concentrate on avoiding tornadoes. However I have successfully healed it several times. So after the wipe I notice that not one person had clicked on the lightwell (except me of course). So I tell the group to click on it, and that it has a 20 yard range so it's not difficult. The pally says it wasn't in melee range. I point out that it was fairly close to the middle and he could move a little to click on it. Then the warlock comments 'So you're basically asking us to heal ourselves?'. And I was like 'Yeah it's a big mechanic for us now'.

That was sort of a facepalm moment for me. And then since 2-3 of them were in the same guild, the pally comments 'Your bad' and I get kicked.

It was probably the 1st time for me that I really understood where some of the healer frustration is coming from. I'm not saying I'm a great healer or anything because I make mistakes. But I don't totally suck either. And getting kicked because of a wipe that certainly was not totally my fault makes me pretty frustrated. So if you're in a group with a holy priest, please click on the lightwell.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#15 - Jan. 14, 2011, 4:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think with all of the changes that have gone in with Cataclysm, there is going to be a period of adjustment and learning. Not to mention, it's been awhile since people have really considered Lightwell or maybe have even seen one. ;) Perhaps making a macro when you throw it out there with a message to your group wouldn't be a bad idea. It might save you some typing and eventually people will get the hang of it.

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#62 - Jan. 14, 2011, 5:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/14/2011 9:00 AMPosted by Valyrix
I think with all of the changes that have gone in with Cataclysm, there is going to be a period of adjustment and learning. Not to mention, it's been awhile since people have really considered Lightwell or maybe have even seen one. ;) Perhaps making a macro when you throw it out there with a message to your group wouldn't be a bad idea. It might save you some typing and eventually people will get the hang of it.

If one needs to macro instructions for a spell to be useful, can it still be argued that the mechanic is viable?

Base spells and abilities should not require macros, 3rd-party addons, or other components outside of the base game to be effective.

This is just my opinion of course. I think lightwell is interesting, but if this is the state of its use then maybe it needs attention not in macros but in developer conversations.

I would agree with you, however, there are abilities that mages and warlocks use that they had to spend time educating people on such as the mage's Ritual of Refreshment or warlock's healthstone summoning. How many times do these classes still have to ask for people to click on the summoning? ;) People will get used to the mechanic in time.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#66 - Jan. 14, 2011, 5:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post

I would agree with you, however, there are abilities that mages and warlocks use that they had to spend time educating people on such as the mage's Ritual of Refreshment or warlock's healthstone summoning. How many times do these classes still have to ask for people to click on the summoning? ;) People will get used to the mechanic in time.

Come now Neth. You can't seriously be comparing something you click outside of combat to something you have to click in behind spell effects, people, mobs, foliage, etc.

In part yes, I am. They mentioned the mechanic of clicking on something. I'm just stating it's not the only thing you need to do that to. In combat is a different thing, but I've heard many people comment that it's useful. I may be misremembering, but there was a time it could only be used out of combat. (Molten Core days?) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's Friday and I have had little sleep. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#99 - Jan. 14, 2011, 5:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/14/2011 9:20 AMPosted by Fishnchips
In part yes, I am. They mentioned the mechanic of clicking on something. I'm just stating it's not the only thing you need to do that to. In combat is a different thing, but I've heard many people comment that it's useful. I may be misremembering, but there was a time it could only be used out of combat. (Molten Core days?) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's Friday and I have had little sleep. ;)

I think it could be used in combat, but it would break on the slightest damage.

I remember we tried it a few times back in the Molten Core days and then decided on not using it at all.

Lightwell has improved since then. Could it improve more? Perhaps. Like anything in the game, constructive feedback is always welcome and appreciated.