The guild exp change (From the patch notes)

#1 - Jan. 13, 2011, 9:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Amazing... its a small change but its going to help a lot of the smaller guilds (In my opinion)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#2 - Jan. 14, 2011, 12:02 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Are you referring to these changes?

We have redefined the definition of a Guild Group for 5-player dungeons.

• If 3 out of 5 players in a group are members of the same guild, they will now be able to complete guild achievements and earn guild experience at 50% of the normal rate.

• If 4 out of 5 players in a group are members of the same guild, they will now be able to complete guild achievements and earn guild experience at 100% of the normal rate.

• If 5 out of 5 players in a group are members of the same guild, they will now be able to complete guild achievements and earn guild experience at 125% of the normal rate.

• Also note that Heroic dungeons offer a 1.5x multiplier on all guild experience earned.

If so, we're really excited about them, too! We feel they'll provide guilds greater flexibility when forming dungeons groups, which has been a request of smaller guilds for some time. On top of that, the amount of experience earned when completing dungeons should now better reflect the overall level of guild participation.

We also think this will help even out the ways in which guild members can contribute to their guild's level. Right now, a lot of that XP comes from questing, which isn't always the focus of max-level characters.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#38 - Jan. 14, 2011, 1:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/13/2011 4:07 PMPosted by Indecisive
Just to clarify....50% plus the normal rate? Or half of the normal rate?

50% of the normal guild experience rate.

A group that has 4 guild members in it will earn 100% the normal rate; therefore, a group that has only 3 guild members in it will earn 50% -- or half -- of what the group of 4 earns. This is, of course, based on a five-man group.

01/13/2011 4:08 PMPosted by Mystina
How will this work for raids? Will it still be @ an 80% threshold as it is now?

Raids will continue to require 80% guild participation in order for guild experience and achievements to apply (excluding 40-man raids, which currently only require 25% guild participation).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#40 - Jan. 14, 2011, 2:07 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/13/2011 4:07 PMPosted by Sorel
Sounds good to me, but doesn't this really cripple guildless players that rely solely on the LFD tool?

Hm. I wouldn't think so, but it is something we'll be keeping an eye on. In fact, it's possible these changes may actually encourage guilds to use LFD more since the required number of guild members is being lowered from 4 to 3 (in order to be eligible for experience and achievements).

In my guild, for example, we'll sometimes only have 10 members on at once. Of those 10 members, only 4 to 5 may be level 85. And of those level 85s, only 3 may want to run a Heroic dungeon. Right now, those 3 guild members may decide it's not worthwhile to organize a run and go on to do other activities -- but, if they had the added bonus of guild achievements and experience, it just might be the incentive they need to queue up through LFD. Similarly, by queuing up with only 3 guild members (instead of waiting for a 4th), that leaves 2 spots open for LFD, up from only 1.

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#101 - Jan. 14, 2011, 4:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/14/2011 2:44 AMPosted by Thecheat
Can we get some clarification on this? 40% of 40 is 16, which is a much bigger number than I've heard.

40% is actually typo. Apparently, in my mind, 10/40 = .4 instead of .25.

Outside of that mistake, which has since been corrected, I did go ahead and confirm with our designers that the required guild participation rate for 40-man raids should indeed still be 25% (10 guild members).