Duel Boxing ?

#0 - Oct. 9, 2008, 10:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ok, so I have 3 accounts. All registered in my name, I pay for all of them etc. For the last year I have been able to be on 2 of these accounts at the same time, no problem. I only have one install of WoW on my pc and just run mulitiple instances. I created a 3rd account to use the recruit a friend program with the bonus xp etc. I leveled this toon and a druid, to 51 obviously, over the last few weeks. Everything has been great, even using my primary account 70 paladin to run the other 2 toons through instances and such. No drama. I have a 20Mbps DSL connection at thome and latency rarely goes over 100ms even when all 3 are on.

Yesterday I hit 51 and went to do AV on these characters for the first time. As I zoned in, I would lag and discconect on both accoutns. I couldn't even afk out of the AV the lag was so bad. I figured it was just the battleground server having a hard time. Today I'm attempting to quest in Un'Goro, so I log both accounts on, create a party and set about my business. BAM, lag and disconect again. I try it a couple more times and same problems. So I just log one of my toons on and set about killing things and everything is great. I figure I had hit a lag problem somewhere along the line. So I pull the other account up and invite away...BAM lag and disconnect. So I get clever and don't invite the other toon to the same party, and wait.... NO BAM. Everything is fine, no issues, no lag both accounts running 64ms, killing and looting away, but the second I am in the same party in game...you guess it, BAM. Lag and disconnect.

Any advice?
#3 - Oct. 9, 2008, 11:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi Starli,

Please keep in mind dual-boxing is not an officially supported means of playing WoW.

With that in mind, considering this issue only occurs once you party with your other accounts, it sounds as though it will be addon related. If it were connection related the issue would persist whether you were grouped or not.

Please close down WoW and remove the WTF, CACHE, and INTERFACE folders from the World of Warcraft game directory. These folders contain temporary data and frequently altered files that may have become corrupted. This will also remove any custom UI's that may contribute to the problem as well.

You can move these folders to the desktop or another directory if you wish to retain the data, however for now please start WoW without those folders present. Also do not use any third party programs to start WoW; often some custom UI's will place a shortcut for you to start WoW from, please use the (Launcher.exe) in the World of Warcraft directory.