To clear the air...

#0 - Oct. 31, 2008, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've been perusing the forums for a while now, and from what I gathered many of the posts show a distinct animosity to the other classes.

Warriors are resented for their 'main tank' and 'benchmark' status. Paladins and Druids for their ability to AoE Tank and off-everything respectively. This is all pre-3.0 thinking.

Things have changed. I think we all agree that the balancing of all tanks was a needed change so that players could choose how they wanted to play the game, and achieve that goal. … It's still being balanced, and will continue to be worked on… it's a living breathing game that changes all the time.

Posts that put down other tanks for <insert ridiculous reason here> are neither needed nor warranted.
If you want to make @$inine comments about another tank class, go to your class forums...
I'm sure you'll have a large contingent of supporters prancing around your post proclaiming your greatness whilst you cackle maniacally burning books late into the night.

Every class wants to be the best at what they do. Every player wants to get the most they can from their favorite class. Every class has it's problems and issues. Get over yourself, be constructive, and have fun. Lets NOT turn this into a 'Tank vs Tank' forum.

The time is quickly approaching when we will have another class looking for tips and advice on how best to tank. Set the precedent now that this is a forum where ideas are shared and not roflstomped into oblivion.

This post needs no response. It is my opinion, and not an argument. I don't care about your gear, epeen, experience, pet pony you had when you were a kid, etc…

Peace.
#180 - Nov. 5, 2008, 5:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This is a very interesting thread.

While we think many guilds will have one of each type of tank, we don't want to build encounters for particular tank classes. We don't like the idea that you might have to bench 3 of your tanks for those encounters than only require 1. We want you to be able to go raid with whatever tanks you have (assuming they know what they're doing). We actually think the game will be more interesting if different guilds approach fights differently because they have different comps.

Q u o t e:
The new definition for Blizzard is "classes that can do more than just DPS". I think that's a useful definition.

That is the definition I tend to use. Everyone is a hybrid except for locks, hunters, mages and rogues. Fortunately every tank by that definition is a hybrid class.